what is the hieght of a slant six???

-

0lddart

Reaction score
i need the height of a slanter 225 to be specific also if any one has the clearance of the hood for a 64dart gt that would also be great

thanks guys

i need the height of a slanter 225 to be specific also if any one has the clearance of the hood for a 64dart gt that would also be great

thanks guys
Waggin is correct. That was a base model engine as was the 170. I think there is 2 inches difference between them (Charrlie S would know for sure). What are you needing to do? Do you have a 170 and want to swap in a 225?
Frank

no i have a 225 slant six currently but am trying to see swap options..... was looking at a 4Bd1T but it looks kinda tall its demensions are 30Lx20Wx31H any opinions ??

??? you already have the 225,well it is just
too easy,get a tape measure and measure it!

regards,Rod:-D

sorry forgot to say the dart is like 40miles away but its coming home this weekend so i guess ill measure it then

I like your style; I considered putting a 280ZX l26 into my '64.....but I traded it FOR the dart instead.

ya i am a diesel fan nothing bettter than 450ftlbs of torque AND 30mpg i know it will sound differant but that is always a good thing.... just exploring the possibility for now....

nice. i dont know diesels or like them to much for me dirty and smelly. but drove my buddies cummins and wow. i now respect them for sure lol and will have to have one some day. i would love to see one in an a body. i think a 24v cummins in a 70 duster would be one bamf ride and no one else would have one lol. post up the build if you end up doing it. i would love to see it:)

no bio just diesel for now im going to start a thread be it a slow going thread but anyone with knowledge is more than welcome to chime in and help even with just some advice

Measuring the engine height isn't going to necessarily give you the answer you want. Assuming that lowering the transmission is out of the question, the important measurement is the distance from the centerline of the /6 crankshaft to the lowest point in the hood structure (e.g. brace) in the area where the engine will be located. This does not account for the sump on the diesel engine which may be problematic anyway. They are usually deep and hold a lot of oil.

In a previous life, I provided parts support to a very large John Deere Industrial Equipment franchise. Our shops got a contact to convert a bunch of hole drillers (powered by Gen 1 Industrial Hemi) to a 6 cylinder Deere diesel. Besides the usual engine conversion stuff of adapters and all, we needed to fit return fuel lines to the tank and re-route exhaust. There also were fuel control systems that needed to be fabricated because the diesel fuel pump was located on the side of the block, where the carburetor was located on top.

The diesel requires a BIG starter. Ours were all 24 volt. We had done some rigs where we put 12 volt batteries in series, so the system could be jump started with a pickup if there was only a single battery failure in the system.

The diesel cranks out a bunch more heat than a gas motor. You'll need a lot more radiator. Finally, an industrial diesel engine weighs a bunch more than the /6.

The other issue for automotive conversion of the industrial diesel is rear end gearing. An industrial diesel typically won't rev past 2500 rpm. Those old 2.45:1 & 2.21:1 7¼ axles might have a good use after all.

Here are some specs on a current Deere diesel.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/rg/ESC/SpecSheet/Ind/4045HF285_D_S0_R0.html

This little guy has 115 hp but 354 ft/lbs torque. Ought to be more than enough to light a few tires.

-
Back