what is the liquid is in it

-

silver fox

Reaction score
I have an older Mallory coil model # 2880 was opened up some liquid spilled out I understand this is to keep point's cool, it run's then just dies wait then try it again it will start can I refill it if so with what, one member suggested turning the coil seemed to work but the problem is back in researching this coil is for racing I don't plan to race just enjoy if I want to replace it do any have a suggestion it has a 7 msd system i'm not really up on high performance this car was a barn find and was built for speed I just want to drive but have something if I need to show off thank's for your help

please someone correct me if I'm wrong but ignition coils use transformer oil, a known carcinogenic, don't mess with it; its also not serviceable; time to disgard

Exactly. Get anew one.

That is the oil that helps cool the coil. Specifically, what kind of oil it is, I don't know. If it's the style of Mallory coil I'm thinking, it has a top held on with 4 screws. Those screws have "O" rings.

I would try refilling it if you can figure out what oil you need. May not work but you are only out a couple bucks if it doesn't.

But I'm one of those guys that tries to fix something before I go for a replacement.

i'm thinking to replace if I replace from I've seem the same coil is good to 12000 rpm this guy built this car for track i'm not going to race any suggestion's, if I replace the with the same it's good to 12000 rpm would I need one that strong or would a 6500 work just want it to drive and give it hell once and a while

It probably worked until some more of the oil leaked out. Just grab a new one. Blaster 2 maybe.

Yea you don't want to mess with it got PCP in it. Bad stuff.

Yea you don't want to mess with it got PCP in it. Bad stuff.
UHHH!, pcb's maybe?? Id seriously doubt its old enough to have oil with hazardous material in it. That stuff went out of use years ago.

UHHH!, pcb's maybe?? Id seriously doubt its old enough to have oil with hazardous material in it. That stuff went out of use years ago.

Well since he didn't say, or doesn't know how old the coil IS, it might just BE PCB infested oil.

Transformer oil an be as simple as vegetable oil. I'm not sure where you would get a small amount. If you have a "friendly" small townish local power company, you might talk them out of a bit

The SIMPLE answer is to replace the coil

well if the coil is from the 80's it most likely does have PCB's in it

also to the OP, if you need a 12,000 RPM coil you must be running a ninja engine, no Chrysler v8 product will rev past 7000 RPM without major work, most are done at 6000

well if the coil is from the 80's it most likely does have PCB's in it

also to the OP, if you need a 12,000 RPM coil you must be running a ninja engine, no Chrysler v8 product will rev past 7000 RPM without major work, most are done at 6000

lol really? :wack:

New coil time.

Now THIS is a coil, LOL

coil.jpg

I see the problem I must of smoked to much of that wacky weed in my youth. Didn't that have pcp in it oh damn that was angel dust that was pcp wait what the hell was the question again. My head hurts I am just going to sit here and give myself a good talking to. :-?:-?:-?:-?

I see the problem I must of smoked to much of that wacky weed in my youth. Didn't that have pcp in it oh damn that was angel dust that was pcp wait what the hell was the question again. My head hurts I am just going to sit here and give myself a good talking to. :-?:-?:-?:-?

haha thats THC not PCB's, hope you never smoked PCB's!

I did work for FPL in the seventy's and changed a few transformers and capacitor banks. I may have taken a bath in that crap more than once. That could explain the brain damage. LOL

I did work for FPL in the seventy's and changed a few transformers and capacitor banks. I may have taken a bath in that crap more than once. That could explain the brain damage. LOL

Don't glow in the dark do ya?

Transformer oil, up until the 80's had PCB's in it. There were entire neighborhoods fenced off and the government bought the property because the PCB's were carcinogenic (causes cancer). There were numerous class action lawsuits filed, but the families involved barely got any of the "billions" of dollars the courts awarded. The "LAWYERS" got the lions share of the money. There was a place south of Houston that this happened to, it was called the BRIO dump site. It and the neigborhood that was built on top of it was fenced of and the property was bought by the Feds. It took years to clean it up and the lives lost were never publicized.

If he didn't let any smoke out of the coil, it's probably still good..

When throwing an electrical load on something we needed to keep cool we've always used mineral oil. We've thrown loads on things that glow red hot normally but toss them in a bucket of mineral oil. It's non conductive and dissipates heat quite well. Remember. Mineral Oil. Please do not confuse this with mineral spirits. Or else you'll have immediate problems.

You are so correct I live in one of these neighborhoods growing up.90% if the people where I live that died was because of PCBs.I will half to take a picture of the area.And yes I was part of the class action lawsuit.and you are right again the only people that made out was the lawyers.Our neighborhood was one of worst spillage in the country.They stopped using it in the late 80s and and tour down the rail yard in the late 90s. Mark
Transformer oil, up until the 80's had PCB's in it. There were entire neighborhoods fenced off and the government bought the property because the PCB's were carcinogenic (causes cancer). There were numerous class action lawsuits filed, but the families involved barely got any of the "billions" of dollars the courts awarded. The "LAWYERS" got the lions share of the money. There was a place south of Houston that this happened to, it was called the BRIO dump site. It and the neigborhood that was built on top of it was fenced of and the property was bought by the Feds. It took years to clean it up and the lives lost were never publicized.

-
Back