What is the oil pan bolt torque spec for small block

-

FJ5

Reaction score
What does the 360 oil pan bolts torque to and what is the tightening sequence?

I don't recommending torquing them. When I've tried that in the past, I end up splitting the gasket.

Start in the center and "snug" them working outward. Then do one more sequence starting in the center and working out. Stop snugging on the second round when you see the pan gasket start to squish.

Be sure to put some RTV on the ends where the pan gasket meets the molded rubber end seals.

Also do a once over on the mains and rod bolts to make sure that they are good before putting the pan on. Then check the oil pump bolt torques and windage tray if applicable.

Tight enough to get firm clamping force without deforming the gasket and/or oil pan flange.

And make sure you straighten the oil pan flange around the bolt holes, they are normally deformed (dished) from someone strong-arming the bolts at one time or another.

15 foot pounds!!!!!!!!!!!

What's your source? I'm not trying to start an argument, but I find it impossible to believe that the torque for oil pan bolts is the same as stock rocker shaft hold down bolts. I think the torque for the oil pan would be in the 5-8 LB FT range. 15 LB FT would distort the pan bolt holes and pinch the gasket.

Tight enough to get firm clamping force without deforming the gasket and/or oil pan flange.

And make sure you straighten the oil pan flange around the bolt holes, they are normally deformed (dished) from someone strong-arming the bolts at one time or another.

Puzackly ^^^^^^^^

My Mopar Performance engine book says 200 in lbs. That's actually just a tad more than 15 ft lbs.

My Mopar Performance engine book says 200 in lbs. That's actually just a tad more than 15 ft lbs.

That's too much, IMHO. I could be way off base, but I like going around 8 LB FT with blue locktite. Maybe I'm crazy.

That's too much, IMHO. I could be way off base, but I like going around 8 LB FT with blue locktite. Maybe I'm crazy.

I don't disagree, I snug them with a stubby ratchet and minimal pull. Never have put a torque wrench on them.

I just did mine, 7 lbs with torque wrench. Did not leak a drop. I may crawl under in a week and recheck. 15 would really squish the gasket.

If the factory torque them down to 15 foot pounds........You might want to start with the oil pan gasket surface up and a hammer handy for the deformed pan rail straightening.

I'm not saying that them spec's are not mother mopar corect! but if it's a cork gasket with out the metal ring around each bolt hole DON'T TORQUE THEM TO 15 foot pounds.

-
Back