what is the problem with discount and some of these tire joints these days.

-
the salesman could see through the window that this is not a top heavy SUV ....it's a 68 dodge dart 2 door hardtop with the factory steel wheels on it LOL

I think @ScampMike was referring to the tire/wheel combination in your picture!! Kids now-a-days and their cars, lol.

I was told this at a training class a few years ago.

As many as 62 deaths and 100 injuries may be due to faulty Firestone tires, including many that contributed to rollovers by sport utility vehicles, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

When Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. last week said it would recall all of its Firestone P235/75R15 size radial ATX and ATX II tires, and Wilderness AT tires, the complaints had totaled 46 deaths and and 80 injuries.

Most of the 6.5 million 15-inch tires in question were installed on Ford trucks, notably the Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle. A majority of the reports of tire failure involved tread separating from the tire, sometimes at high speed, causing blowouts and rollovers.

John Lampe, executive vice president of Bridgestone/Firestone, said he couldn’t comment on the agency’s numbers released Tuesday until he received more information about their makeup. But he said he was not surprised that NHTSA had recorded a growing number of complaints and attributed the rising claims to mass media coverage.

“Obviously as more media attention has been played on this, more claims will become known,” Lampe said.

Lampe added that the company was still investigating the complaints.

Rollovers Examined The data released Tuesday shows that while front and rear tires are subject to failure, rear tire failures caused all but two of the 131 rollovers reported to regulators, The New York Times reported. But it also said that determining the frequency of rollovers due to tire failures is nearly impossible because the government does not collect the data and tire makers do not share their data on their own brands.

Sports utility vehicles are more prone to rollover that other cars because of their higher centers of gravity.

Sen. John McCain, consumer advocacy groups and personal injury lawyers have called on Firestone to expand its tire recall, saying its voluntary recall in four states is not enough to protect consumers. In a letter to Secretary of Transportation Rodney Slater, McCain, chairman of the committee responsible for highway safety, said he has serious doubts that drivers and passengers in all states will be adequately protected by Firestone’s recall.

Firestone said Tuesday it would reimburse customers who had to exchange tires included under the recall. Firestone said tires purchased between Jan. 1, 2000 and Aug. 8, 2000 would be covered under the reimbursement policy. Recalled tires that are replaced between the first day of the recall, Aug. 9, and Aug. 16 also fall under the policy.

My 68 dart is daily driven, rain snow sleet or shine.

So the front tires are showing some wear and it's getting bad. I have a radio delete so I listen to the car very carefully and I know it very well.

Last night I could feel a bit of a shimmy and it's because they are getting really worn and I think one is starting to bulge. Not really a heart break because I have had these tires a long time now and they are getting worn within their time.

So I go to Discount tire.

"how can I help you" the guy says. I tell him I need a pair of front tires and I tell him the size I want and point to the car through the window.

He says, Ok, I will just go have a look at what size it has now. I say, it doesn't really matter because the size I am asking for is different because I don't like the size there and I want a slightly taller tire.

He says, well it's not really good practice to change the tire size because it can cause pre-mature suspension wear and throw off the speedometer.

I tell him, that is ok, I have a tin full of different speedometer gears if I need to change it to get it closer.

he says, can you hold on one moment. He goes and starts talking to another guy and they go outside to look at the car.

he comes back and says ....based on the condition of this car I would assume you drive it everyday...right? I say yes, I drive it anywhere and everywhere.

He says "miss, you should really consider driving a newer car, these old dinosaurs are just not safe or reliable"

So I say, " are you going to lecture me or sell me some tires??

He says, I can only sell you the same size that is there and they have to be put on the back.

I said " I don't want them on the back because those back tires are fine and where I want them."

he just stared and I said ok, that is fine and I just walked out.

Then I went to a local Mexican tire shop that sells new and used. I told the guy in there what size I want and that I want two NEW ones. He said " yes ma'am". I said I want them on the front. He said "yes Ma'am". He has me pick the ones I want from the rack and then says to help myself to coffee or a get a free complimentary soda while I wait.

twenty minutes later I was driving away with my brand new tires, balanced and all.

Is it really so freaking hard
Tire barn is just as bad. Anymore, I just order tires online and take them without the car into a local shop and pay 8 bucks to have them mounted and balanced. Otherwise, they try to push this or that on you

Tire barn is just as bad. Anymore, I just order tires online and take them without the car into a local shop and pay 8 bucks to have them mounted and balanced. Otherwise, they try to push this or that on you
$8 ! wow I thought I got a deal other day when I carried 2 in f or mount and balance for $10 ea! ha most of them want $15. ha

We have a chain here in the northeast, Town Fair Tire. If you don't buy the tires and wheels from them, they will not touch them. "It's corporate policy". When I asked them how come it is apparently O.K. to bring a car with stock wheels and tires on it and have new tires installed, they said "Well, that's different". Bunch of robots working there and they cannot deviate from their programs. Stay away from Town Fair Tire.

My wife bought a used 2007 Lincoln MKZ all wheel drive in 2010. After a week, we found a flat tire in the morning. I filled it and sent her to the dealer to buy a new tire. She called me and told me the service manager told her the car would "burn up" if they only replaced just one tire since it was all wheel drive. This scared the hell out of my wife as she assumed that the Ford dealer would not lie to her about something as serious as this (my wife is a lawyer). I said to put the service manager on the phone. He told me the same BS. So I ask him to specifically identify which part of the car would actually catch on fire and he told me the computer would. I grilled him ”so the to computer will actually catch on fire???" Then he says "no, but it will burn out the computer because it is all wheel drive and ABS brake sensors will see that the wheels are turning at different speeds since the tires will be different diameters with just one new tire". Then I tell him that I am a mechanical engineer and his story is pure BS. He disagrees, so I ask him would the computer "burn up" if the wife drove the car with low air pressure in just one tire? He said that if she didn't drive it too long like that it would be OK. So I asked him, how long is too long, a week, a month, six months? He didn't know. So I asked him what the tread depth is on the new tire and the other three tires. It turned out that the other three tires were only 1/32" worn difference from the new tire. I asked the service manager if 1/32nd inches were enough to cause the computer to burn up and he said it would still be a possibility. I asked him if running any of the tires with lower air pressure in it versus the other three tires would also change their diameters by 1/32" or more and he thought that low air pressure in one tire wouldn't change the tire's diameter at all. I then told my wife to come home and I would buy her tire somewhere else. Well she was so upset by what the service manager told her, she didn't even want to drive the car home for fear of it burning up with her in it! I caled Ford's regional center to complain and I told them what this service manager told us and asked if it was true that replacing only one tire on an AWD ABS car was recommended or would it in any way damage any part of the car. She sent the question up to the factory tech center and an engineer there said emphatically "No!" I told her that my wife didn't want to own another Ford because this experience made her afraid to even ride in a Ford. They apologized and logged our complaint against this dealer. Idiots should be put out of business if they use unscrupulous practices like this.

Uhhh, the 'burn up' due to changing one tire on an AWD vehicle refers to the transfercase/ transmission going out which DOES happen, whether or not your salesperson/tech/whatever was smart enough or experienced enough to speak correctly when getting pressured by a lawyer or an angry husband type doesn't matter; changing ONE tire on an AWD car (or not regularly maintaining/rotating tires) can and will result in premature wear (chevrolet has a TSB that states it takes 1/16" difference in diameter to cause premature wear) of your drivetrain. I have personally changed out transmissions on a few different make AWD cars/SUVs due to mismatched tires (one had 3 different make tires in use) I also have talked to techs at Jasper transmissions (the shop I worked at used them for a while) and they agreed with the narrative the OEMs use too.

Read some of this unscrupulous lying BS
Do You Need to Replace All 4 Tires on Your AWD Vehicle? - Les Schwab Tire Centers explains a little bit more

Last edited:
Uhhh, the 'burn up' due to changing one tire on an AWD vehicle refers to the transfercase/ transmission going out which DOES happen, whether or not your salesperson/tech/whatever was smart enough or experienced enough to speak correctly when getting pressured by a lawyer or an angry husband type doesn't matter; changing ONE tire on an AWD car (or not regularly maintaining/rotating tires) can and will result in premature wear (chevrolet has a TSB that states it takes 1/16" difference in diameter to cause premature wear) of your drivetrain. I have personally changed out transmissions on a few different make AWD cars/SUVs due to mismatched tires (one had 3 different make tires in use) I also have talked to techs at Jasper transmissions (the shop I worked at used them for a while) and they agreed with the narrative the OEMs use too.

Do You Need to Replace All 4 Tires on Your AWD Vehicle? - Les Schwab Tire Centers explains a little bit more

So it could damage the transfercase/transmission. But will it "burn" the car? Or the computer? As this guy told him? I don't care what kinda pressure he is under. If you tell someone their car will "burn up" without properly explaining why? You're an idiot. He said specifically that the computer would burn up. Not any of the drive train. He was trying to scare her. Period.

Not only that, you can't tell me that every time a person with a 4wd/awd gets a flat, they have to change all 4? C'mon now. I was born at night but not last night. If that was true, no one would buy them. Who wants to buy a car that you have to get 4 new tires when you get a flat. Especially a vehicle that is aimed at rougher/off road driving? Can it make a difference if the other tires are very worn/near end of life? Sure. I can see that. Can it make a difference on tires with only a few thousand miles? Doubt it.

So do tell. What's your secret?

Between the kids cars and my cars, ive bought approximately 6-8 sets of tires from them.
They are pretty good at price matching or better. So I will find the best tire price on the Internet
for the particular tire I want. Bring a copy of what I find to them, and they will match it, and sometimes
beat it.

For my Darts, I just bring the rims/ tires in, for replacement tires.

Ive had nothing but good experiences with them.
Great pricing, state of the art tire balancing machines, free nail repair, whats not to like ?

Believe it or not, Walmart hooked me up with some $38 whitewall 14's for my beater truck. Cheap, $12 mount balance and stem...And they were special order: I ordered them at 4pm and they called me at 8 that night saying the tires were in! They were not the OEM size, I think they were +10 in width but no grief from them. It would be like $212 out the door today but I think The bro'd me on something as it was like $205. Jeez, that truck rode like it was on rails without those crappy old tires.....they also mount tires for $5 a pop.

Your reference article says if more than 3/32" to replace all four. My story involved 1/32". Little bit of a difference huh? Maybe the service manager could have explained it better? He still would have been wrong at 1/32" though.

3/32 max. 1 or 2/32 should be fine as long as it's the exact same make and model tire. We are now charging 30 bucks a pop of you bring in your own tires. Not worth the risk (scratching/damaging wheels,breaking studs) needless to say we don't do much.

I should have also said in my story that after 4 years of ownership afterward, she had no transmission or transfer case issues whatsoever.

Rani, put off buying your next car and buy a combo like this. You can order any tire you want, have it delivered to your door and mount and balance it yourself. The balancer is there any time you want to rotate and re-balance what you have.

COMBO - TC211 + WB-HS | GSES

1/32 is .03125 inch.
on a 25 inch tire, that is .031/25 x 3.1416 = .0004% difference in circumference. If that burns up anything it would be braincells trying to figure out how that would burn out anything. Ima thinking just negotiating a turn would put hundreds of times more stress on the front differential.And we negotiate dozens and dozens of turns on every single trip to work......

Your reference article says if more than 3/32" to replace all four. My story involved 1/32". Little bit of a difference huh? Maybe the service manager could have explained it better? He still would have been wrong at 1/32" though.

Correct but the problem also gets added to when you remember that tire manufacturers have started widescale manufacturing in china, leading to out of spec tires coming into the market, so one from a few years prior would measure different, or the OE spec tire (assuming that's what was on it? Or whatever tire it had) could have been discontinued making it so the new tire may "measure" the same but have an actual dimension that could put things out of spec.

I worked in a tire shop when some of our suppliers switched to overseas factories we had A LOT of out of spec, out of round, bad dimension, wouldn't balance tires that were the 'same' as the US made ones that were much better

There is a reason cars (and that includes AWD cars) have one or more differentials: To keep stuff from wearing out or "burning up" due to driving around corners, or just driving on uneven surfaces. Front and rear axles are never normally locked together on AWD vehicles. There is a cnter differential. Because of this, minor differences in tire diameters shouldn't matter.

There is a reason cars (and that includes AWD cars) have one or more differentials: To keep stuff from wearing out or "burning up" due to driving around corners, or just driving on uneven surfaces. Front and rear axles are never normally locked together on AWD vehicles. There is a cnter differential. Because of this, minor differences in tire diameters shouldn't matter.

But with the advent of all the computer controls, the computers are now reading wheel speeds and it can confuse them. If it is enough, it can cause the brakes to grab, or the transfer case to lock because the computer sees it as wheel slip. And with everything having ABS anymore, I'm not sure the issue is just isolated to AWD/4WD vehicles anymore.

But with the advent of all the computer controls, the computers are now reading wheel speeds and it can confuse them. If it is enough, it can cause the brakes to grab, or the transfer case to lock because the computer sees it as wheel slip. And with everything having ABS anymore, I'm not sure the issue is just isolated to AWD/4WD vehicles anymore.
Really? Then how can I drive my AWD Fusion on dry roads with many, many curves on them? I drive 45 minutes to work every day and there are only about 5 miles that are straight roads. I have not burnt any thing out yet.

its like this. some stores hold the institution of service close to heart, as they know it keeps them in business. especially in rural areas, small towns.. the bigger the store, seems like the less "service" is important to them, just profit, or maybe the manager just is a prick? ha
talk about difference is sizes of tires. couple years ago a guy bought one rear tractor tire to match the size of the other old one. it was so much different the tractor sat **** eyed! ha.. he sent it back and paid the$ for UIS tire! ha
it wasn't long after that, I heard the US informed the China guys to retool ALL their tire dies!!! all tires..... maybe they did??

-
Back