What is the top speed of this Valiant

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hey everybody
What is the top speed of the Plymouth Valiant 170 3 speed manual transmission
(115 horsepower)?

I never could find the top speed of mine, but at 70 the 170 with a 3 speed standard was singing with 3.23 gears sir. these 170 low deck engines will turn some rpm's with a good tune/valve set

You should be able to make the jump to light speed Han Solo.... :D

Depends on gearing, stock-ness, tire size, ride height, power adders, and size of the cliff you're willing to drive it off of

Interesting question. I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to hit 95. (MPH not KMH)
The hyperpak valiants would hit 125 or so at Daytona.

Why not take it out and find out? Then report back.

I bet 140+ being pulled behind a hellcat, but seriously, I don't think I would be comfortable at over 70 in stock trim, if I recall that was the speed limit back then.

hard pressed to hit 80/85

My '69 Dart did 95MPH with a total passenger payload of 'bout 500 lbs., on a slight uphill rural stretch on a nice dry 70 degree day. That was a 225 auto with 2.76's, only
a guess, but I'd say 90MPH with driver only.

My old mazda truck thats about as aerodynamic as the Valiant had a 95hp motor and a .78 overdrive. weighed about the same ~2800 and I got it to 90 once. I think it may have been faster in 1:1 4th but it was a long stroke motor like the slant so it didnt really like to rev.

Do you still have the factory reverse thread lug studs on the drivers side? Those add a bit more confidence while at high speed.

Seriously though, when I delt with motorcycles, we had a web site to go to that you input the bike, the front gear tooth and rear gear tooth into and it would give you that info. But I've had my 170 to 78 mph. Factory gearing, same ol' 13 inch tires, and lowered in the front 4 inches and back 3. No power add ons except a MSD sticker. I was pretty scared.

I gotta check mine for top speed.
Maybe if it hits 88 mph I'll be transported back to 1964 and I'll be driving a brand new Valiant.

"Mr. sulu", Aye captain, warp speed please! Aye captain, warp speed.
" I'm giving her all she's got captain " thank you Scotty.

Well you are possibly geared to hit 135 to 150, but my guess is the power would peak around 120, in a vacuum. But as soon as the poor old 170 has to buck wind, I'll guess 85/90 with a fresh engine, stripped, and three coats of wax.

I can't speak for a 170, but I've done 105 on level ground in my 225/904/2.76 Dart. It's stock aside from a 390 Holley. Top speed with a passenger was 98, also on level ground. Given that, plus the 170's lower power but willingness to rev, I'd say 90 is feasible.

I can't speak for a 170, but I've done 105 on level ground in my 225/904/2.76 Dart. It's stock aside from a 390 Holley. Top speed with a passenger was 98, also on level ground. Given that, plus the 170's lower power but willingness to rev, I'd say 90 is feasible.
Hey everybody
What is the top speed of the Plymouth Valiant 170 3 speed manual transmission
(115 horsepower)?
Have you ever watched Duel, a 1971 Spielberg movie starring Dennis Weaver? Anyway, he drives a brand new 1971 Valiant in the film. If nothing else, it taught me that getting chased by a demonic oil tank driver can far exceed factory top end specs.

-
Back