What is the trick to getting the valve cover off a /6 with AC?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Doing lots of stuff on my duster today, one thing I want to do is paint the valve cover and install a new gasket. Took a quick crack at it and I couldn't figure out how to snake the cover out. The AC hose is in the way. Advice?

one tool and I think she will help.

As far as I know the a/c will have to come off and from there on

Attachments

• Pink-With-A-Sludge-Hammer-1-1024x768.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 225
I've never needed to unbolt any A/C components to get the valve cover off my A/C-equipped slant-6 A-bodies. What exact year and model is your vehicle?

It's a 1970 duster. I got the valve cover off, when I swiveled the AC unit to get the belt off, I had just enough room to get the valve cover out. Now it's got some fresh paint drying on it and tomorrow morning I will be able to have everything back together, with new belts, hoses, thermostat, temp sender and antifreeze.

It's a 1970 duster.

For next time: You needn't remove the "AC unit" (think you probably mean the compressor). All you have to do is very(!) slightly loosen the nut at the firewall end of the hose, then pivot the hose upward and sneak the valve cover out from under it. Once the valve cover's back on the head, hold the hose so the firewall end fitting is horizontal, then retighten the nut. Thereafter, all you have to do is flex the hose up out of the way with one hand while you remove the valve cover with the other. Not difficult.

See the valve adjustment procedure.

For next time: You needn't remove the "AC unit" (think you probably mean the compressor). All you have to do is very(!) slightly loosen the nut at the firewall end of the hose, then pivot the hose upward and sneak the valve cover out from under it. Once the valve cover's back on the head, hold the hose so the firewall end fitting is horizontal, then retighten the nut. Thereafter, all you have to do is flex the hose up out of the way with one hand while you remove the valve cover with the other. Not difficult.

See the valve adjustment procedure.

loosening the hoses on a working A/C system will drain the refrigeriant... into the atmosphere:read2:

And the rock hard valve seals if there still there! Get out the flashlight.

-
Back