What is this?? 318 stroker??

-
If it's really a 318 and someone punched it out to a 360 stock bore, you've got a piston that is sitting in a .090" overbore, which is highly unlikely, unless it's been sleeved or something.

A sonic check will tell you if a 318 can be punched out that far and yes they can be but not to a 340 bore.

Here are some pictures as promised!

Attachments

• 318head.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 410
  • 318valves.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 318piston.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 516
Couple more.

Attachments

• 318geardrive.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 398
  • 318crank.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 318rotatingassy.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 418
More

Attachments

• 318casting.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 318complete.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 409
2 bucks that "318" is a fake casting number, look at the size of the 1 compared to the other 1's...and the 3 is in another font? Sell me that CAT gear drive!
mopp_0311_09_z%2B318_engine_buildup%2Bcast_numbers.jpg

I would have to say it is also fake.....Different font on the engine cu in ....look at the flatness on the top of the number 3 compared to the other........and it also looks like the whole 3 digit area is raised higher than the rest ....Like another piece over the top....I would have to say probably as said earlier, someone was trying to "skirt" the racing rulebook....LOL

2 bucks that "318" is a fake casting number, look at the size of the 1 compared to the other 1's...and the 3 is in another font? Sell me that CAT gear drive!
mopp_0311_09_z%2B318_engine_buildup%2Bcast_numbers.jpg

I would have to say it is also fake.....Different font on the engine cu in ....look at the flatness on the top of the number 3 compared to the other........and it also looks like the whole 3 digit area is raised higher than the rest ....Like another piece over the top....I would have to say probably as said earlier, someone was trying to "skirt" the racing rulebook....LOL

It is kinda strange... I'm with you guys on that. I will be pulling it totally down and I will post up my finds. On my way home now to at least get the cam out and run the numbers. I'm not sure what to do at this point. If I pull the crank and discover its actually a 360 block, I will swap it in to my dart. If its really a 318, I will put the heads, cam, rockers, and gear drive in the 360 currently residing in my dart.

Well here are my findings. Got the camshaft out and ran the numbers on the back end. For the life of me I cannot find anything on the net telling me what the specs are, or even the maker! The number is 51035?? I also pulled one main cap off. I measured the main journal and it is 2.50 on the money. The number on the bearing is MB2283P and its marked STD. So I guess it really is a 318!! Lol. I'm really stumped by the cam numbers. Anybody know what this is?? Thanks for any help!

I'm going to venture and say it's a 360 with an incorrect cast number on the block?

If it's got 360 4.000" pistons, it could likely just be a re-ring magnum, which is common, considering how clean most of them look when they come apart, due to fuel injection.

If it's really a 318 and someone punched it out to a 360 stock bore, you've got a piston that is sitting in a .090" overbore, which is highly unlikely, unless it's been sleeved or something.

Hensley Motorsports has been building 402 "318s" for more than 20 years. Borin um .090" over all day.

H655CP is a Sealed Power replacement piston for the 5.9 Magnum motor. I think the mystery has been solved. This is a 5.2/318 thats been bored out to 4" with a turned down 360 crank. The next mystery is the cylinder wall thickness in the bores.

attachment.php

Do you believe that's what I have here?

I don't know. I do hope you cleaned all the dirt off the top of the pistons before you put it together. lol

You might call Hensley and see if they mark them somehow. I bet they do.

Here are a couple pictures of the cam, and a pic of the main bearing. Anyone have any insight on the cam??

Attachments

• 318cam.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 318cam2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 318bearing.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 280
If you have a set of calipers. Measure the lobe lift (over the nose - base circle = lobe lift). This will give you a rough idea of what the cam is.

I actually love this post as it's out of the box and gives interest where it should

Thank You BadAss71

I wonder if E 51035 was referring to a custom cam grind profile....I know when I had mine ground it had a reference number for the grind profile.

The markings on the bottom of that cam looks like it says crower on it. a quick search on their website turns nothing up though.

Crower
Part Number/Work Order Number E51035
Engine Application 318 CHRYSLER
Grind Number SPECIAL MAGNUM ADVERTISED CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:
INTAKE: Duration: 268º Lift: .478 Clearance Hot: .000 EXHAUST: Duration: 278º Lift: .488
LOBE SEPERATION 117º

Duration at .050" Intake: 204º
Exhaust: 212º LOBE LIFT Intake: .299
Exhaust: .305

If using "Lobe Center" method of degreeing, cam should be installed on an intake centerline of: 113º

I wonder if E 51035 was referring to a custom cam grind profile....I know when I had mine ground it had a reference number for the grind profile.

The markings on the bottom of that cam looks like it says crower on it. a quick search on their website turns nothing up though.

Cool motor. A lot of work for a 360 but I like the steath aspect of it.

Crower
Part Number/Work Order Number E51035
Engine Application 318 CHRYSLER
Grind Number SPECIAL MAGNUM ADVERTISED CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:
INTAKE: Duration: 268º Lift: .478 Clearance Hot: .000 EXHAUST: Duration: 278º Lift: .488
LOBE SEPERATION 117º

Duration at .050" Intake: 204º
Exhaust: 212º LOBE LIFT Intake: .299
Exhaust: .305

If using "Lobe Center" method of degreeing, cam should be installed on an intake centerline of: 113º

Now I think we are on to something! Where did you find that info!? I looked high and low and couldn't find squat! So if these numbers are correct, and with the 1.7 rockers installed, what are we looking at for overall lift?

It really makes me wonder what the reason was for building this motor like this?? What would be achieved building it this way, vs starting with a 360 block? I am at a loss lol

Thanks to all who have an interest in this. Definitely out of the norm.

Now I think we are on to something! Where did you find that info!? I looked high and low and couldn't find squat! So if these numbers are correct, and with the 1.7 rockers installed, what are we looking at for overall lift?

It really makes me wonder what the reason was for building this motor like this?? What would be achieved building it this way, vs starting with a 360 block? I am at a loss lol

Thanks to all who have an interest in this. Definitely out of the norm.
I guess at the end of the day what you have is a 360 with thinner than normal cylinder walls.

I guess at the end of the day what you have is a 360 with thinner than normal cylinder walls.

You know. This has been running circles in my head. This could be a stupid question so bare with me. Would Chrysler actually have two separate castings for the 318 and 360? Or would they share the same casting, and simply bore the block larger for the 360 mains and pistons? It doesn't make sense to have two separate castings. Now big blocks obviously have a low deck and a tall deck. Which you can't share intake manifolds due to this. But you can put a 318 intake ona 360 no problem. They are all the same deck height right?? With that being the case, the cylinder wall thickness would be the same. Basically just turning this 318 block in to a 360. Am I way off in my train of thought??? Open to debate!

I've never sonic checked a Magnum 318, but if they are anything like a Magnum 360 they are thin on the wrist pin axis. Its been debated on here before, but IMO just boring the living **** out of any block blindly is a bad move. Even when sonic checking looks good, all it takes is a thin spot the size of a quarter to crack out.

-
Back