What is this?? 318 stroker??

-
I am probably talking out of my butt here, but I'm going to anyway. Could it be a 318 sleeved for a 360? Can that even be done? Like I said, I am probably wayyyyy off here.

Now I think we are on to something! Where did you find that info!? I looked high and low and couldn't find squat! So if these numbers are correct, and with the 1.7 rockers installed, what are we looking at for overall lift?

It really makes me wonder what the reason was for building this motor like this?? What would be achieved building it this way, vs starting with a 360 block? I am at a loss lol

Thanks to all who have an interest in this. Definitely out of the norm.
Googled Crower, clicked on cam card finder, plugged the cam number in to the search box.
Should work out to .506 / .517 with 1.7 rockers

I am probably talking out of my butt here, but I'm going to anyway. Could it be a 318 sleeved for a 360? Can that even be done? Like I said, I am probably wayyyyy off here.

Not likely. The cost of sleeving 8 holes at say $150 a hole = $1200
Could easily find a 360 block for that kind of money.

I'm hanging out still wondering what the original builder was up to. Nice work "Skrews" on the cam identity. :thumbrig:

Could this be someone with access to a machine shop that was just playing? Was it for a truck build? I'm now having a hard time thinking it was some kind of cheater, being how the duration is so small.

I hope in the end, it's a workable engine for you, or someone...

:happy1:.

Dirt track class rules! It's a cheater motor around here. Until they tear it down then your done. LMAO A.R.C.A. rules My friend runs in the class I asked him if he ever heard of it being a mopar racer and he runs that same set up.

You know. This has been running circles in my head. This could be a stupid question so bare with me. Would Chrysler actually have two separate castings for the 318 and 360? Or would they share the same casting, and simply bore the block larger for the 360 mains and pistons? It doesn't make sense to have two separate castings. Now big blocks obviously have a low deck and a tall deck. Which you can't share intake manifolds due to this. But you can put a 318 intake ona 360 no problem. They are all the same deck height right?? With that being the case, the cylinder wall thickness would be the same. Basically just turning this 318 block in to a 360. Am I way off in my train of thought??? Open to debate!
I hear what your thinkling, but they are different. Different casting numbers and all. They cast production blocks then machine them. Its a cool idea to cast one block for both, but probally not practical from a production standpoint. Likely more machining time to bore the main bearing journals, and cylinders, is just my thought.

What I would do if it were mine, is tear it down, sell the block and machined crank, call it a "stroker 318" (The guys who think the 318 gets no respect would knock your door down to buy that)........lol then find a good magnum 360 block and crank, and build me a engine with thicker cylinder walls, win-win

I hear what your thinkling, but they are different. Different casting numbers and all. They cast production blocks then machine them. Its a cool idea to cast one block for both, but probally not practical from a production standpoint. Likely more machining time to bore the main bearing journals, and cylinders, is just my thought.
I get what your sayin as far as the machine work goes. But hear me out. So what I have here is a 318 that has been bored out to accept a 360 4.0" bore piston. Vs having a 360 standard bore block. Are the cylinder walls in this block any thinner than a 360 block?? Are the 318 blocks cast with thinner cylinder walls than a 360?? It just doesn't add up. Now I know the crank I have has been turned down because the 318 has smaller main journals, which is a lot cheaper to turn the crank than to bore out the mains to fit a stock 360 crank. But if you really wanted to, you coukd right?? So what realky makes the 318 "cast" different than the 360??? Again. Just trying to really understand the difference between the two blocks. I am very tempted to pull the heads off a 360 magnum on the side of my garage to compare the thickness between the two!! I'd bet these two are identical now as long as the 360 I have is standard bore. Which I'm sure it is
What I would do if it were mine, is tear it down, sell the block and machined crank, call it a "stroker 318" (The guys who think the 318 gets no respect would knock your door down to buy that)........lol then find a good magnum 360 block and crank, and build me a engine with thicker cylinder walls, win-win

the only way to know for SURE how thin those bores are, is to sonic check them. You have a 318 block with a .090 overbore...... You also have a cast 360 crank with over .300 removed from the mains.... you don't think that crank is stronger after that do ya? It might all be fine, but I would rather have parts as thick and strong as possible, especially when it comes to a cast crank....

the only way to know for SURE how thin those bores are, is to sonic check them. You have a 318 block with a .090 overbore...... You also have a cast 360 crank with over .300 removed from the mains.... you don't think that crank is stronger after that do ya? It might all be fine, but I would rather have parts as thick and strong as possible, especially when it comes to a cast crank....

No I totally agree with you on that. Thinner weaker = not good. It just baffles my mind what is different between the 318 vs 360 as far as the block is concerned. 318 small bore small mains. 360 big bore and big mains. Does it really come down to the machining process between the two?? Talking block only.

No I totally agree with you on that. Thinner weaker = not good. It just baffles my mind what is different between the 318 vs 360 as far as the block is concerned. 318 small bore small mains. 360 big bore and big mains. Does it really come down to the machining process between the two?? Talking block only.
Heck, I don't know the technical/mass production reason for it, but they decided the 360 was to be a torque motor, and figured it needed bigger mains to handle the durability aspect of it. They already had the 340 block core boxes, would have been simple in my mind to just make a 3:58 stroke steel crank in the 318/340 main bearing size, and keep on casting the blocks they had, instant 360 motor with nothing but a crank and piston change. well, it woulda been closer to 365 CI but still......why did they do what they did? hell if I know

Wow! I just read an old car craft article on 500hp 408 stroker, and the machine shop
Doing the build really liked using 318 blocks and punching them out. If gou google
500hp 408 stroker it should come up.

Heck, I don't know the technical/mass production reason for it, but they decided the 360 was to be a torque motor, and figured it needed bigger mains to handle the durability aspect of it. They already had the 340 block core boxes, would have been simple in my mind to just make a 3:58 stroke steel crank in the 318/340 main bearing size, and keep on casting the blocks they had, instant 360 motor with nothing but a crank and piston change. well, it woulda been closer to 365 CI but still......why did they do what they did? hell if I know
Exactly! That's what I want to know! My theory is, same casting, bore it bigger for 360, smaller for 318. Keeps costs down. Both share the same heads and intake. Simple! Lol
Wow! I just read an old car craft article on 500hp 408 stroker, and the machine shop
Doing the build really liked using 318 blocks and punching them out. If gou google
500hp 408 stroker it should come up.
I need to read that article!

-
Back