Reaction score
Can anyone ID this
Pretty sure it’s bad … going to get tested today
3 wires

IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg

The plated pulley, the inked part number, and the fact that the original stamped number has been almost completely blasted off means it's been rebuilt. There's no certainty as to what the guts in it are. Testing it is a good idea. Better idea if it's done by an old school independent rebuilder as opposed to Auto Zone.

Your extra 12V + wire is some sort of accessory? '69 and earlier just have two wires to the alternator. The 12V red battery wire and a green field wire.

The "real" part number is cast into the housing near the fake printed one. I see two wires. This early alternator can be run with either one or two wire regulators if the proper brushes are used. Repair parts are almost impossible to find now , so if bad, buy yourself a complete good one.

The "real" part number is cast into the housing near the fake printed one. I see two wires. This early alternator can be run with either one or two wire regulators if the proper brushes are used. Repair parts are almost impossible to find now , so if bad, buy yourself a complete good one.
I tend to agree. What he is saying, is, this is NOT a native 69 / early type. It is or was, a 70/ later isolated field, sometimes incorrectly called a "dual field." You need to disconnect all connections, get a meter, and determine if the field is GROUNDED. If so you can get the correct 70 brushes, change it to isolated, and run a 70/ later VR. Or you can ground one field, leave it grounded, and use the older 69/ earlier regulators, which are for the most part, inferior

-
Back