What is this and what does it do?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up under my hood and I have no idea what this gizmo is?

Attachments

• DSC01198.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC01187.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 340
looks like the 1974-only Seat Belt Override Button ( Interlock Override ? ) .

Yup, LH23H2R is correct. it's the override switch for the '74-only seat belt ignition interlock system. See here for info on how to make sure this system never strands you with a car that won't start, and see here for Chrysler's movie about how to start a 1974 car in just sixty-three easy steps.

Is there a way to bypass this switch? I dont have my seatbelts plugged in but every now and then my duster decides it doesn't want to start. I usually have to disconnect the positive battery terminal for a few seconds and then she fires up. this problem had me stumped for the last few years.

Uh…yes, click the first link in my post above to learn how to make this switch irrelevant.

I'm on a computer at work and for some reason it has both the wbsites you posted blocked. :angry7:
I did a search for 74 emergency override switch and found on a ford forum which wires needed to be spliced to bypass the switch. Anybody know what color the wires would be on a mopar? Also, there is 5 terminals on the switch. If I splice the 2 wires is there any reason to have the others plugged in?

I'm at work also.When I get home I will look to see if I have one.It's not new,but I think it's in a little better condition.That is if I find it.you can even have it for the price of shipping.

-
Back