What is this called next to my fuselink box and what can I use to clean it?

-

66DartSedan

Reaction score
I replaced my fuse link box (if that' what it' called) and next to is what I think is my wiring harness? I wanna clean it up but what product can I use? Contact cleaner? Degreaser....not sure.

20180218_162056.jpg

The starter relay is on the left and the bulkhead connector (with all the wires ) is on the right. I would use contact cleaner to start and see how much gunk is removed. I think I sprayed mine with brake clean and it worked well.

The bulkhead connector .You can use electronic switch cleaner or some other cleaning agent like naptha but you must have the battery disconnected and even removed from the car or you can fry things or cause a fire. You can unplug it by raising the clips away from it and more than likely you will find corrosion on the contacts that needs to be cleaned .

The bulkhead connector .You can use electronic switch cleaner or some other cleaning agent like naptha but you must have the battery disconnected and even removed from the car or you can fry things or cause a fire. You can unplug it by raising the clips away from it and more than likely you will find corrosion on the contacts that needs to be cleaned .
Like this? And I can spray it all over to clear that gunk on top as well?

Screenshot_20180224-174627.png

So you mention that the contacts may need to be cleaned. I have my harness out of my 64 Dart right now and I need to clean some grime off as well, but how would you go about cleaning the contacts in both the male and female ends of the bulkhead connector? Small file? Sand paper after taking each wire out one by one? Hints or tricks would be much appreciated and should I use dielectric grease in the connection when done? Thank you.

I used a very small file when I cleaned my bulkhead, then yes, packed it with dielectric grease.

My bulkhead cleaning project started when I heard sizzling around the area of the bulkhead connector (yikes!!) A fire was probably in my near future!! The wire carrying current to the amp gauge was nearly fried. I ended up doing the fleet bypass by running a heavier gauge wire from the alternator directly to the amp gauge bypassing the bulkhead. That's when I cleaned up the rest of the bulkhead.

So you mention that the contacts may need to be cleaned. I have my harness out of my 64 Dart right now and I need to clean some grime off as well, but how would you go about cleaning the contacts in both the male and female ends of the bulkhead connector? Small file? Sand paper after taking each wire out one by one? Hints or tricks would be much appreciated and should I use dielectric grease in the connection when done? Thank you.
You can trim a throw away nail file. There are diamond coated terminal cleaners available too.
_Hero_IPA-Diamond-Grip-Terminal-Cleaners.png

I removed the wire ends from the plastic connectors and soaked them in Evaporust. I got that from another FABO member on a recent thread. Great idea - after a couple of hours they look great.
Message_1519083786801.jpg

Mix salt and vinegar, dunk each connector and leave in 5-30 min.
Then dip in baking soda and water to neutralize.

I did my whole dash and engine harnesses and they came out nice.
Cheap, too....

Mix salt and vinegar, dunk each connector and leave in 5-30 min.
Then dip in baking soda and water to neutralize.

I did my whole dash and engine harnesses and they came out nice.
Cheap, too....
Vinegar is good stuff,I de-rust motorcycle gas tanks with it .Takes a little longer than acid but is safer and less toxic. Never thought about using it on electrical connectors .Good tip, thanks

-
Back