What is this connector 68 Barracuda

-

cadboy

Reaction score
Does anyone knows what this connector is behind the instrument panel.

8502860791_2f09174c00_m.jpg

I have a 68 barracuda with A/C. I just went and check mine . I label all the connectors when I removed the instrument cluster.
If it has 2 dark green wires, 1 light green, and a tan it's the blower switch
connector. From your photo that's what it looks like.

Thank you guys for the response.

If it is the blower connector why on my car it was connected to this switch which is not a standard?

8503714097_b17ec1e02f_m.jpg

when AC is removed, where does this connector go to.

thank you

Thank you guys for the response.

If it is the blower connector why on my car it was connected to this switch which is not a standard?

8503714097_b17ec1e02f_m.jpg

when AC is removed, where does this connector go to.

thank you
That was done to mine also . The only thing I could figure was the
switch shorted out and they rigged it with the toggle so the blower would work. The thing that sucks is who ever did it ran the wire through the glove box and drilled a hole in the box door for the switch.
I had get another door on ebay.

If you re-wire it per factory, I suggest using a relay for the "blower high" position. I did in my cars after dealing with melted blower switches and the expensive 5-button electro-vaccum climate switch.

Thanks guys for all the information.
I have that switch in the panel and when I took the instrument panel out I found where the connector goes to.
I was going to leave it out but I know the blower worked before so I will leave it alone.
The switch looks like a toggle switch but no move, so may be used for shorting out only.
I have to investigate further.

That sure looks like a toggle switch to me and I've worked with a slew of 'em for 40 years or so. If it doesn't move, it's fried.
Maybe melted by high current feeding the blower "high" windings. Like Bill said, a relay would be your best friend.

ATB

BC

Even though the harness connector fits the switch, the wiring from there on is quite a bit different. With heat only you can turn the heat on and turn the blower off.
You cant turn the a/c on and the blower off or the vaporater coil would ice over. So it wired in such a way that the fan switch is controlling a/c clutch i/o power.
That's why those who cant correct the wiring, change the controller and bezel, ad a toggle switch to get the blower to run.
I haven't studied the wiring daigrams lately but if my memory serves correct, the blower power is routed from the fuse box to the motor. The resistor bank and switch that provide the different fan speeds is actualy in the path to ground. If thats the case, A relay in the power supply wouldn't protect anything on the control side of the circuit.
The blower is one of the higher amp loads inside the cabin so a relay in the supply side could extend the life of the ignition switch, bulkhead connections, etc..

I found out what the switch is for, it is not a toggle switch it is resistor which turns and is replacing the blower switch.
I have no idea why this has been done, but for now I am leaving it.

Thanks for all your information.

-
Back