What is This little silver box for???

-
Its a nox piece.

Ding! Looks like we have a wiener; '72 FPC scan below and MTSC discussion here and on the page after the linked one. Remove and discard the box and wiring.

72_NOx_System.jpg

Its a nox piece. found this on moparts. Here is some more info I've gathered. It's reliability is slightly questionable, so you might want to double check its accuracy.

In 1970 all cars used the Cleaner Air System (CAS)(PCV valve, valve cover vent, etc. In 1970 California cars used the Evaporation Control System (ECS)(fuel vapor setup) in addition to the CAS system.

In 1971 the ECS & CAS systems were used in the other 49 states, while California cars went to the NOX system in addition to ECS & CAS. The NOX system includes special components for the transmission, a special camshaft with more valve overlap, and a 185 degree thermostat. There were 2 different setups available depending on manual or auto trans.

Manual trans = a switch on the trans sensed what gear the car was in. any gear below high gear made a solenoid cut off the vacuum from the carb to the distributor vacuum advance unless the temperature sensor indicated the underhood temp was less than 70 degrees.

Auto trans = similar to above, but used a speed sensing switch inline with the speedometer cable. Mine had a 2 piece speedo cable with some little module on it. :lol:

In 1972 the ECS & CAS systems were used in the other 49 states, while California cars went to the Orifice Spark Advance Control (OSAC) & Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system in addition to ECS & CAS. OSAC is a firewall mounted valve with hoses to the carb and distributor vacuum advance. EGR is a valve on the intake manifold with a temperature unit on the firewall. The EGR system had slight differences depending on what engine was in the car. (318 ported, 340 floor jetted)

In 1973 the ECS, CAS, OSAC, & EGR systems became standard on all cars. I'm not aware of any differences for California cars in 73.

In 1974 the ECS, CAS, OSAC, & EGR systems were still standard on all cars. California cars used a venturi vacuum amplified EGR setup.
Darn, I thought I had a 1 of 1 flux capacitor.:scratch: That was the best movie ever made! Thanks to all!! :headbang:

I knew some tech's would jump in here Dustedu2 :thumbup:
daredevil and Dan hit it on the nail, the two D men :thumbup:

OK, I removed the Flux Capacitor and, well, no wonder I couldn't travel through time. It wasn't hooked up to anything. :lol: That was the easiest bundle of wires to get rid of so far. :happy1:

-
Back