What is this open cavity in my 318 heads?

-

67CBodyGuy

Reaction score
What is this open cavity in the heads of my 318, and should I be concerned that it's not covered by a gasket or the intake manifold? (see area inside yellow circle)

what-is-this.JPG

It's a semi-circular cavity, about as wide as my pinky finger, no idea where it goes, what it's connected to if anything.

Yes heat relief, the hot exhaust gases flow through just below those openings.

☆☆☆☆☆

So it is also a special place that catches every small bolt/nut and “Jesus clips” that falls out of your hands while working on a carb.
Syleng1

So it is also a special place that catches every small bolt/nut and “Jesus clips” that falls out of your hands while working on a carb.
Syleng1
especially those tiny carburetor throttle pin spring clips... I managed to retrieve it but it took a mirror, a magnet, a pick and 3 days of patient fishing...

Prevents a hot spot under the valve cover that can cause oil to coke. And as others have mentioned, a place for throttle rod clips to hide.

Syleng1
Yup! Dropped a couple of both in there recently.

And just for the record: You can't use a magnet to get anything out of there, either.

Or at least none that I have.

Say what? You're more than skilled at it than I, that's for sure!
I had a tiny magnet on the end of a short screwdriver. I couldn't get it to make contact and grab the spring directly but one fishing attempt got the magnet close enough to move the spring into a different position where I could then grab it with a hooked pick.

It was an attempt by Chrysler to ‘shave some weight‘ for fuel economy purposes back in the day. Then they got serious a few years later with the Feather Duster/Dart Lite.

-
Back