What is your choice for an 8.75 differential?

-

threewood

Reaction score
Right now I am running an open differential in an 8.75, 741 case with 2.76. In prep for getting my engine built, I am hunting down parts for my rear end. I see cone type, clutch type, detroit locker type. All seem to have different names such as posi, sure grip, tru trac.

I am closing in on a set of 3.23 gears for it, but want opinions on differentials. Right now I am leaning toward a Detroit Locker. What are your thoughts?

I really like my clutch type OEM Trac-loc.It has enough slip with the power off to not make trouble in the turns, yet under power it locks up and spins both 295s. To make a cone type Sure-Grip do that takes a lot of tuning.Rebuild parts are available for that Trac-loc. Sure-Grips can be rebuilt several times,but eventually they wear out. The Trac-loc can take more power into it.It has 4 spiders to share the load, and the cross-pins cannot oval out a hole cause there is none, just ramps. The SG may eventually fail when the cross-pin ovals out the case hole, or the spiders break, or the splines rip out.
If youre making big torque or are running slicks,the Trac-loc is the way to go. Just about everything else can run a SG.

im assuming with the 3.23's your not drag racing. if you were i would recommend a locker type like the detroit locker or oem clutch type. im running a true track also 3.23's and couldnt be happier with its performance. i went from loosing power from lifting tires on turns to being able to power though them.

im assuming with the 3.23's your not drag racing. if you were i would recommend a locker type like the detroit locker or oem clutch type. im running a true track also 3.23's and couldnt be happier with its performance. i went from loosing power from listing tires on turns to being able to power though them.

No, not a race car. Just a good street car so I want to maintain good drivability but also be able to lay two, n8ce strips of rubber every once in a while :)

The one I am looking at is an Eaton Detroit Trutrack with helical gears, not the traditional locker.

The Eaton Tru Track allows you to put power down while exiting a turn. The old style limited slip diff's can lock up and spin you while coming out of the same turn if a lot of throttle is applied. You will not be disappointed with the Tru Track.

I run nothing but clutch style Suregrip units and 742 cases in all my cars! Just like em, and the 742 is strong enough for anything I throw at it! Geof

-
Back