What kind of balancer is this

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is on the front of a 78 360 I just picked up (it is heavy LOL). I havn't got into the internals yet. Am in the process of cleaning it up, so I took all the acessories off, and this one is under the crank pully. It dosn't look like a 360 balancer to me.
The plug wires were all routed wrong also, and the plugs are all black build up in the fireing end.
My other 360 had a different balancer on it.
Dave

20190529_201714.jpg

20190529_201704.jpg

Early 360s had a counterweight ring added in the casting. Later ones had material removed from the opposite side. Don't know what year they started doing that. But it's similar to what B&M did with their externally balanced flexplates. Early ones had a weight plated welded on. Later units had a section cut out of it. Probably to save money in material and/or labor.

Looks like a motorhome 360. Does it have the weird water pump and outlets? That type balancer was used and the timing tab on the LH side with the little tube.

This 360 is a June 78 casting, with the regular aluminum water pump. the timing marker is on the driver side of the chain housing, in fact its at # 1 TDC now. The back of the balancer is plain just like the front. I thought the balancer might be off of a 340. The engine has a standard mopar flex plate on the crank.
I bought it off of a young guy, who is re doing a 79 Warlock, which he said the engine came out of. he is putting a big block in it. He told me it ran good. it still has clean oil, and anti freeze in it. Holley 4160 on it, also, along with an Edelbrock Streetmaster 318.Thats all I know so far.
Dave

It's a standard stock Chrysler 360 balancer for whatever year that engine is. As said, They used a few different types. All is well.

-
Back