What kind of gas do you run at the track ?

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
Would buying 112 octane gas help my car run a bit quicker ? Right now running 94 octane still pings once in a while if it's going up a hill under 2300 rpm , pings a lot when I put in 91 octane . Compression is right around 10 . 1 .

mix some racing gas with the pump gas....you probably dont need the 112 octane straight up...

or back your timing off about 3 - 4 degrees.....

mix some racing gas with the pump gas....you probably dont need the 112 octane straight up...
That's what i figure , probably 106 octane would be good , so I'd back the timing 4-5 degrees too , right . Do you think a 50/50 mix of 94 /112 would be good ?

Does it have steel heads on it? I am running aluminum heads at 10.9 to 1 and I run 93 octane street and strip. Best of 6.29 @109 in 1/8.

whats your dynamic compression and cylinder pressure? I have a 10:1 motor with about a 7.9 dynamic comp and she does just fine at 100oct (50/50 mix of pump 91 and 110 leaded)

whats your dynamic compression and cylinder pressure? I have a 10:1 motor with about a 7.9 dynamic comp and she does just fine at 100oct (50/50 mix of pump 91 and 110 leaded)

so..I have 10.1 static and 8.8 dynamic and run on 91 with close chambered heads. I would say cylinder pressure plays a big part in it all.. Also this engine was built by Brian at IMM. 33 degrees timing.

so..I have 10.1 static and 8.8 dynamic and run on 91 with close chambered heads. I would say cylinder pressure plays a big part in it all.. Also this engine was built by Brian at IMM. 33 degrees timing.

Cylinder pressure , what is yours ? My motor was built 6 years ago so I am not sure on exact compression , but do remember it took forever to get it to run without pinging , compression was over 10.1 I know that . Each cylinder was between 192 and 195 lbs , that I remember . I put in 90 octane once by mistake and it ran like crap , ran on when I shut down , constant ping as soon as I hit the pedal .
I'll try to find the build sheets so I can give better numbers . Memory is not great , between getting old and being put under general anaesthetic 5 or 6 times in the last 5 years I'm lucky if I remember my name .

I figure 100 octane would be just about perfect for the motor . I'm going to find the build sheet so I know exactly what the compression is . I do remember it was over 10.1 and that bothered me at the time .

I would try mixing a liter of Boost additive first.My friend uses it with his 422c.i W2 headed pump gas stroker.Runs 10.62@125mph in a 69 Dart.Worth a try and cheaper.:D
I tried octane boost , absolutely worthless , at least the junk I tried . You know of a good product I could try .

Cylinder pressure , what is yours ? My motor was built 6 years ago so I am not sure on exact compression , but do remember it took forever to get it to run without pinging , compression was over 10.1 I know that . Each cylinder was between 192 and 195 lbs , that I remember . I put in 90 octane once by mistake and it ran like crap , ran on when I shut down , constant ping as soon as I hit the pedal .
I'll try to find the build sheets so I can give better numbers . Memory is not great , between getting old and being put under general anaesthetic 5 or 6 times in the last 5 years I'm lucky if I remember my name .

I have not checked pressure yet. Fresh engine with no miles just idling time. My camshaft does help being 251-260 @50. Maybe your camshaft is small for your setup?

-
Back