what kind of horsepower?

-

m-wellbaum

Reaction score
well i unfortunatly havent gotten me a project yet but i got my eye on 2 dusters actualy one of them could be a demon anyways the one that seems to be most promising looks to me like it could be a 340(blackedout hood no twister emblems) i was wondering what kind of horse a relatively stock 340 would have im in in the macon area if anybody is around here who knows where a duster/demon is id appreciate the info our budget is 4000 im not sure how far that gets me in a project so any info would be cool

Stock HP was advertised at a high of 275. Later years dropped down to a low of 240. All those engines need is a return of compresion and a 2.02 valve. Everything else was the same. (Ops, save the carb.)

I believe the change in HP came in the year they decided to rate HP differently (i.e. not crank HP) and there was actually no change in actual HP or very little. The only major change in the 340 was the drop in compression.

Darn! Your right. I was thinking in '73??? the valve went to a 1.88. No?
OK, more coffee...no sleep, no wait.coffee sleoffee, coffselp, plz enk. er....TTYL! Work soon. Midnight comes fast sometimes.

I read that NHRA refactored the horsepower rating on the 68-70 340+4 engines to 310 HP, and the 340+6 to 330 HP, I believe this was done when those engines were still fairly new.

Yea, I read stuff like that. Thats the NHRA factor stuff. I just (Sometimes) remember what the factory siad. That's what I go by.

m-wellbaum,
A buddy of mine has 2 that he would sell and he does restos, I/He is in Dallas about a 120 miles from you. Just out side of Atlanta.

realy! i used to live in dallas i moved to alabama from there like 2 1/2 yrs ago then to here just over a year ago are they drivable im headed up to dalton saturday for a swap meet i might could talk my dad into a sidetrip we might not be able to tho were meet friends at the swap meet are the horsepower #s at the wheels or the old way

One is drivable and the other is apart. The HP #'s are from the rear of the transmission.
Where is the swap meet in Dalton?

HP was factory rated at 275, but everyone knows that was inaccurate. BTW the valve size changed in 70 only the 68-69 X head had the 2.02 Intake IIRC

cool i might look into the one that runs what motor is in it and whats he goin to be askin oh and heres the info for the swap meet i foud the auction lookin for the info on the one im goin to sorry couldnt find an adress
March 24, 2007
Classic & Collector Car Auction & Car Corral
Northwest Georgia Convention Center
Dalton, Georgia
For more information go to www.pottsauction.com

March 24 - 25, 2007
March Swap Meet & Car Show
Norrth Georgia Fairgrounds
Dalton, Georgia
For more information call 706-278-2846 or 706-226-8792

I thought that it might have been just for mopars, anyway I'll be racing in calhoun just down the road from there on sunday, exit 317 turn left if going north and go 1/2 mile and it's on the right. Time trials at 12:00 and races at 2:00. I think thats it's one exit south of Dalton. If your interested.
I think that it has a 318 in the one that runs. He told me $4000.00 but you can drive this car home.

you got me interested dad will like the 318 hows the interior i dont think ill be able to make the race tho thanks for the invite i must admit that is up there on our price range so we wont be able to afford to do many repairs how much rust has it got and does it need paint hopfully i can get my dad talked into takin a look by saturday if you have a pic id like to see it if not dont worry about it

rumblefish360 said:
Darn! Your right. I was thinking in '73??? the valve went to a 1.88. No?
OK, more coffee...no sleep, no wait.coffee sleoffee, coffselp, plz enk. er....TTYL! Work soon. Midnight comes fast sometimes.

I think the 1.88s came on the scene in early seventies....my '72 came stock with J heads and 1.88s and my '69 340 came with X heads and 2.02s so I'm not sure exactly when the smaller valves came in......only that it was earlier than '72.

hi, the 1968 to 1971 340 had 2.02 valves, the 68 -70 had the AVS carb. the 71-73 340 had T.Q.carbs. the 68-71 340 were rated at 275 HP. the72-73 were rated at 240HP. thr lower ratings were net with all accesories on.
the 71 340 and the 70 340 6pac had 915 heads, both had 2.02 valves. the 68- 70 340 had 894 X heads. the 72 -73 340 had 915 and 587 heads with 1.88 valves. the 72-73 340 makes a lot of power in spite of low compression.
this info is from mopar and NHRA, this is correct for building a legal stocker motor. the 72 -73 will have 9.40 comp, easy by decking block and cutting heads to min cc (64.5) with a .039 gasket.

As allready been stated above, the 68-70 340's were factory rated at 275. NHRA re-factored them to 310 and the '70 six-pac cars were NHRA factored to 330. The '71 340 was also factored by NHRA to 330. I remember reading an old Hot Rod article where Dick Landy rebuilt a 340 to 69 specs. All factory stock everything and it made 314 HP. So NHRA was pretty close with thier numbers. When the 340 first appeared on the scene it was in the same class at the drags as the 275 horse 327's ...and believe me it was NO contest. I feel the '71 340's were probably the strongest of the 340's. Not bashing any of the legendary 340's I just believe it made the most stock horsepower. It had the good heads and big valves with the good compression (still), and the 340 camshaft which was a good performer in it's day and the '71's had the TQ which I feel was the best factory carb/intake set up of all the 340 offerings. The horsepower numbers are accurate but the rest is JMHO. Terry.

-
Back