What kind of plugs to buy?

-

kempkan

Reaction score
I figued with the car finally wrapped up I would do a little tune up before the season starts here in 2 weeks. I just wanted some opinions on what kind of plugs cap rotor and wires everyone else is running or if it really even matters. My car is a 318 and will be strictly for the strip. Im hoping for a little performance increase but im not expecting them to last all year either. Thanks for the input.

Champions. I met a guy who worked for ngk and he told me he wouldnt use ngk in his lawn mower and thats all he had to say about them.

I like Autolites. I think a 65 works in a 318. I run the short reach 75's in my big block and my Harley pan head.

NGK'S or Autolites. MSD wires,Standard Blue Streak brass cap an rotor.

All these plugs do the same thing in that they provide good, consistent spark and they're cheap enough to buy multiples if one starts fouling but if you're looking for a performance gain you'll have to spend big $ and get E3's or something similar, that's my opinion.....

NGK #ZFR5N (stock number 3459). Extra-long electrodes move the spark away from the quenchout area for more consistent ignition across a wider range of fuel/air mixes, which gives a little better driveability and mileage.

Autolites are now Chinese-made garbage. Champions have always been cheap and nasty and are only getting cheaper and nastier. Hold an NGK next to its equivalent Champion and the quality difference is obvious unless you are legally blind or legally blonde.

Magnecor wires.

you got 8 cylinders...buy 2 champions..2 ngk 2 autolites..and 2 ac delco

if you're looking for a performance gain you'll have to spend big $ and get E3's

Bulk wrap. The E3 spark plugs are only more efficient at pulling money out of your wallet when you buy them. There's nothing new or groundbreaking about them, and the maker's claim that "the spark plug hasn't changed since 1904" is idiotic. I had to give them credit for at least having some valid science on their site. I called them up and spoke to the guy who answered the phone. He claims the plug was designed by Champion's retired head spark plug engineer from the 1960s, who oversees production of the plugs...in China...by a subcontractor of a subcontractor. Whee, are we havin' fun yet? It's all sizzle, no steak. All hat, no cowboy. All litterbox, no cat.

Gimmicky spark plug scams are nothing new. Back in the days of gas price wars that started at 29¢/gallon and went downward from there, JC Witless had full-page ads hollering RUN YOUR CAR WITHOUT SPARK PLUGS! Back then they called 'em "fire injectors" rather than "E3" or "pulse plugs", but the claims, hype, handwaving and pseudoscience were (and are) just about the same.

x2 what dan said,i did a test on a 440 street car, autolite,e3 ,and splitfire.every run i changed plugs from autolite then e3 then splitfire.it ran the same 1/4 mile times not a gain in sight.the car ran 12.30 @113 every time well it went 113 every time it went 12 30 1231 1229 all aty 113.:eek:ops:

get a good cap, i.e. BRASS contacts...

also make sure the rotor is brass and if available get the long tip version...

-
Back