.. what kind of rear end fluid ?? .. thanks ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
i'm ready to add fluid to my freshly rebuilt 8 3/4" rear end w/SG ..
* how much fluid do in need to buy ?
* what kind/brand is best recommended ?
* i was told to make sure i add a SG additive .. what kind is best ? . mix ratio ? ..

thanks ahead of time for your responses and help ..

I use 80/90 weight for the lube, get two quarts. fill it until you can stick your finger in the fill hole and touch fluid.

I use the friction modifier from NAPA, it comes in a medium sized tube. I use the whole tube and then fill with the gear oil.

I use 2 quarts of 80/90 gear oil w/the additive.
I have used store brand oil to Mobil One synth, MP "Whale Oil" to Auto Zone additive.
As long as the oil ethier has the friction modifiers in it or added to it in proper amounts, you'll be fine.

When your ready to add in the oil to the rear, just have the car on level ground. Then add the modifier first and then the Oil untill it spills out of the fill hole.

Trick tip;

Use a small rubber hose, like some extra heater hose to put on the end of the bottle. Secure well, turn bottle upside down and squeeze it in slowly. Warm oil flows well and cold oil sucks when you try and rush it.

I hold the warm bottle up above the rear and stick the hose into the fill plug. Squeeze away, have rags or drain pan ready. ;)

-
Back