what kind of torque can you get with all the bolt ons and cam?

-

dustyaman

Reaction score
i see a lot of post about how much hp with these engines with bolt ons . That's not what I care about. I care more about the torque because that's what I will be doing just driving around town. Now what kind of torque will I get with headers, 4 barrel carb with aussiespeed manifold, Maybe a comp cam with the bigger duration, and full dual xpipe exhaust, and maybe milling the head .100 with oversized valves. and for sh*** and giggles what can I get with a m90 supercharger after all that.

I care more about the torque

Then build a torquer motor.

headers, 4 barrel carb with aussiespeed manifold, Maybe a comp cam with the bigger duration, and full dual xpipe exhaust

That's not a recipe for a torquer motor, that's a recipe for a high-rpm horsepower motor...exactly what you said you don't want.

By picking parts first, you're doing Ready...FIRE!...Aim. Bassackwards! Instead, plan out in explicit detail what you want this motor (and car) to do, and your budget in terms of money, time, and effort. Once you've got that all figured out, then that's when you start picking parts. Headers, an AussieSpeed intake, and a long-duration camshaft will not be on the shopping list.

Still would of been nice to know what kind of torque this brings. Thanks for the response.

Start with an RV grind cam, I'd just use a 2bbl and a stock 2bbl to keep velocity up and rpms low. If you already have the intake. Use a tiny 4bbl like a 390 or a 400 carter. Holley made a mileage master 4bbl carb that had very small venturis and I think a Buick used it as an oem carbs I think it was about 450 cfm. Dual exhaust joined 10 feet back or a long tube header would help too. Ultimate torque would be turbocharged or eaton blown.

Last edited:
You will do well to get 1 foot pound per cubic inch if left naturally aspirated.

Efi with timing control. Nothing like a well tuned motor for throttle response and torque

Yes it's a slant. I'm just on the fence to build a slant and be different at car shows and drags. Or just bite the bullet and just convert to a 318 and build it. But that just ads more parts to find like a good 727 small block tranny. Which are difficult to find if I build the slant with all the goodies including pistons and crank. With a m90 eaton supercharger. What kind of times will I get in the quarter? 13s?

Here's the deal. The Slant is a torqueless wonder. Very small bore with a huge stroke and way too long of a rod.
It isn't until around 3 grand that the speed of the rod swinging past TDC begins to match the speed of the pressure wave and things start to come into sync.
If you want torque, go find a 170 block and rods and then grind away at a 198 crank till it fits. You'll give up 25 cubes, but more than make up for it in angularity.
If you're sticking with the 225, put a clutch behind it and use an RV type cam.
Lots of bowl work, but dont increase the size of the ports or valves..you need all the velocity you can get.
And, squeeze. Like was said before, compression builds torque.
Good luck!

If you want somthing different keep the 225 and supercharge it. You'll be the only one at the car show or cruise in.

What is this going in, weight, trans, gears, tire size, etc.

Displacement or boost makes torque so either turbo/supercharge or B/RB time. Displacement and boost make a lot of torque.

Torque isn't everything. Ever drive a non-boosted diesel or an industrial engine?

3.91s and a 2800TC
42% more torque multiplication is like putting in a teener.
Two gears to 60mph topping out at about 4400.
And 32mph is about 1554rpm in Drive,and is 2800 or better in 2nd at hammer down.32mph is too much for first gear @about 4000 rpm
there is your torquey city car.
Forget bolt-ons; they will never touch this, with the 2.76s and factory TC.
They will never touch this as long as the 2.76s stay.
42% is supercharged territory.

Last edited:
3.91s and a 2800TC
42% more torque multiplication is like putting in a teener.
Two gears to 60mph topping out at about 4400.
And 32mph is about 1554rpm in Drive,and is 2800 or better in 2nd at hammer down.32mph is too much for first gear @about 4000 rpm
there is your torquey city car.
Forget bolt-ons; they will never touch this, with the 2.76s and factory TC.
They will never touch this as long as the 2.76s stay.
42% is supercharged territory.
Thank you

Well this talk can be done lol I found a 318 bolted to a 904 for 250 bucks. Bought it immediately. Couldn't pass it up

Well this talk can be done lol I found a 318 bolted to a 904 for 250 bucks. Bought it immediately. Couldn't pass it up
Wise choice, but the same general hop up strategy still aplies, but your miles ahead with a v8

Wise choice, but the same general hop up strategy still aplies, but your miles ahead with a v8
Lol yah. And I got even a better deal then the one I posted earlier. A 318 with a 727 that came out of a charger 3 years ago now in a warehouse running for 280. Freaking stoked

"miles ahead with a v8"
well then be happy with where you are, Mopar's are always cool, but my authentic performance slant gets tons more attention than the row after row of performance Mopar V8's,, Hemi's and BB Wedges are fun, but after seeing 20 of these, is there really anything new? And can you really drive one, block to block- around the neighboorhood? I like unique cars, that are driveable. Your teen will get lost parked next to a nice slant.

"miles ahead with a v8"
well then be happy with where you are, Mopar's are always cool, but my authentic performance slant gets tons more attention than the row after row of performance Mopar V8's,, Hemi's and BB Wedges are fun, but after seeing 20 of these, is there really anything new? And can you really drive one, block to block- around the neighboorhood? I like unique cars, that are driveable. Your teen will get lost parked next to a nice slant.
So us guys with a v8 can't drive around the block? Lol....

"miles ahead with a v8"
When I go to car shows there is only like 1 old mopar. I think I will be fine. And this isn't a trailer car show queen. It's going to be made to be driven.

One does not build a Slant simply to go fast, or get attention.
One builds a Slant because of the challenges involved.
The Slant is the naked soul of Mopar.
Those who dedicate themselves to it are the unsung heros of the Mopar universe

So us guys with a v8 can't drive around the block? Lol....
"drive around the block" not saying you can't, just saying that when you do, you are most likely tracing someone elses path,, using catalog parts,what has been done before,,,, not that's a bad idea, just saying most v8's are not very original, that is OK as some folks need cookbooks,

"drive around the block" not saying you can't, just saying that when you do, you are most likely tracing someone elses path,, using catalog parts,what has been done before,,,, not that's a bad idea, just saying most v8's are not very original, that is OK as some folks need cookbooks,
Actually a lot of the slant stuff has been done over and over again also. Tons of videos on YouTube of the same stuff. If you really want to be different and stand out and banded away from mopar people forever... put a 2jz in it or a rb25dett. NOW THATS DIFFERENT!!

-
Back