What Locks the Upper Column Collar?

-

clifftt

Reaction score
66 Barracuda, four speed, no power steering. I rebuilt the column, putting it together now. Testing the turn signals switch, but the collar spins a little in both directions when I flip the switch. I've pressed and tried to get the collar to interlock with the column with no luck. I haven't put the steering wheel on yet. Does the wheel somehow mash everything down to lock the collar down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 212
I just rebuilt a PS column for my 65 Barracuda. There are 2 special square head bolts that installed from underneath that catches the recesses in the tube. These bolts are secured with some special nuts

Here's a pic the of two castle nuts and studs. You install them with the nuts just started on and fit the collar then fiddle with them until the square head on the studs catch the tabs on the column tube and tighten them up.Q

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 180
I did not see the tabs in the column you speak of, Scott. I saw the bolts and nuts but couldn't figure what their purpose was. I'll check it out when I get home. If you're right, you're my hero of the day.

Here's a pic showing the holes that the square bolt head grabs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 151
I just ran into this last night after reassembling my column. I thought the bolts were "extra" as I couldn't see what purpose they served. Ooops..... guess I'll be pulling the steering wheel and upper bearing back off.

Cliff did you get your column squared away?

Your pic showing the square holes cleared the picture. I got it locked last night. Thanks again!

-
Back