What model of Holley is this..

-

grassy

Reaction score
I have found a bunch of numbers on this carb but none indicating what model it is. Here are 5 pictures of it.

http://yamigrl.smugmug.com/Cars/carb/9393025_nGsWB/1/629137771_moN2B

It looks like someone wired shut the choke in picture 2 or diddled it some way. The last owner said that all we needed was a seal kit since it has sat for a bunch of years ...can I rebuild this or do I need to send it to holley ? Am I missing anything ? I do know he took it off his chevy rod.

I have a K&N pancake filter w/chrome top but would prefer the ram type with the butterfly valves....like the link below..I have asked this before so please bear with me. I am told that you cannot use this item in bad weather..such as fog and rain ..how did the orginal shaker hood keep the water out of the carbs ?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-InJEGtor-Scoop/757346/10002/-1

Thanks for your input !

Grassy

The numbers on the air horn to the right of the air cleaner stud are the numbers you need.
The top numbers are the carb #. The bottom are the date codes.
When I blow the photo up the numbers go out of focus.
You can check the numbers on the Holley website.

..I thought it is a 4000 series as well..but I still don't see it..pardon me for being a knob..

..here are all the numbers I see except for the patent numbers..

L6210021

Are the bold ones it ?

If they are not..could you put the pic in paint or photoshop a circle the area I should be looking at ? ..I don't see the air cleaner stud.

grassy

Ah! I believe that to be a 6210-2 (650 cfm). I'm not sure what the rest of the numbers are and the only carburetor book I can find on my shelf is on Quadrajets. The model 4165 and part# 6210 should be enough to get the proper kit for it.

Doktor,

Is this large enough for a 360 or should I go bigger ?

Thanks
Ian.

It should be plenty for a mild street build. I ran one on a mild Pontiac 400 (~350HP) years ago, and it was excellent for everyday usage.

Grassy,

The biggest problem with old beater Holleys is that the throttle shaft bores get worn out, suck air and cause idle problems because the throttle body gets warped from over-tightening, huge return springs, poor throttle cable alignment, etc. There is no aftermarket replacement throttle body for this style Holley. I'd stay away from this carb. It looks like it's lived a long hard life.

So my three choices are to stick a rebuild kit in it..but the kit doesn't contain parts to fix a worn throttle shaft bore; send it to Holley for a rebuild.. probably best them because it is their's...and they could fix that possible problem; or toss it out.

I would replace it with what ? a rebuilt one that I can buy on e-bay or could I run into the same trouble ? a rebuilt one from summit or jpegs...and what should I be looking at with a 360 and a comp cam ?

Thanks. The only carbs I know are solex :)
Ian.

-
Back