What moderate low-buck V8 has the highest RPM potential?

-
RPM potential is primarily a matter of valve train control, air flow, and how much money do you want to spend........make no mistake about it RPM costs money. As I stated earlier, sm blk chevy have had decades of development work, parts are inexpensive, there is LOTS of information. 383/400 you could get into the 8-9000 range with out too much problem, past that point would be much more difficult, question is WHY? Power band at that point is very narrow, it would be like a light switch, "on" or "off" .

Not to mention the cylinder head technology it will take to sustain those kinda RPM. He just cannot grasp it. I have tried over and over but it just does not register.

John, maybe you should talk to Jim Laroy about this. I am sure he could tell you exactly what it will take to achieve what you want. In very specific dollar amount$.

If you really wanna spin hell outta something, build you a turbo rotary engine.

If you really wanna spin hell outta something, build you a turbo rotary engine.

13B Mazda?

They do spin really high, sadly they lack a little bit off the line (even though the RX-7's come with 4.10 gears).

Wind one up a bit though and they take off like a bat out of hell. Performance Parts aren't cheap though, it's why my cousin and I pulled the 13B from his RX-7 and dropped in a Supercharged 318 Small Block. Not before we had some fun with the car one last time :D :burnout:

That day I found out those cars have a "Shift Buzzer" instead of a Shift Light. I was hard in the throttle, banging gears and I hear what sounds like a horn. I grab 4th gear and look around, no cars in sight. "Hey man, did you hear a car horn?" "Oh that? It's a shift buzzer." :D

They handle nice too and grip well in the turns.

Building an engine for "all out RPM" is dumb.....Hp is AirFlow...not RPM.

[ame]http://youtu.be/oA3Q7S1Bd6E[/ame]

Read the specs on that engine.....
Build an engine to Make TORQUE.....then gearvendors overdrive the transmission if you want
Rediculous topspeed with 2.45s...

:happy1:

Building an engine for "all out RPM" is dumb.....Hp is AirFlow...not RPM.

http://youtu.be/oA3Q7S1Bd6E

Read the specs on that engine.....
Build an engine to Make TORQUE.....then gearvendors overdrive the transmission if you want
Rediculous topspeed with 2.45s...

:happy1:

This. Turbos make so much torque across the power band, no need to rpm the short block to death.

Its the sound a high rpm motor makes that is so cool, IMO

BMW makes-or made-a V10 with a 8,000 plus red line, mind U I love Mopars far more but that engine even muffled down sounded great screaming through the gears.

I rather have a built 8,000 rpm 340 any day but any V8-V10 engine that revs cleanly past 7,000 sounds awesome, IMO. Must have been something else back in 1971 on the few expressways at the time with the "brand new" 69--70 cars with 4.10 gears going 75 mph plus...so awesome that we got that 55 mph limit for too long, lol

All the 340 needs is a solid lifter cam and its good for 7,000...I recall the old days when we were told to gear for torque and build for HP...today its stroke the engine and keep rpm's down. Maybe both gets the job done but the sound of 7,500 rpm can't be beat by a 5,500 rpm stroker

I admit that I skimmed thru the posts here.....But in my day, it was the 283". Early/mid 70's there were guys running them on the street with tunnel rams, rollers, large heads & 5.13/5.38 gears. Crazy...I know, but in several mid 60's Chevelle's & Lemans powered by them were low 12sec cars.

While restricted by head design, I still think a prepped 289" Ford could turn some serious rpm's also.

I discount the "new" stuff, as I'm sure the're capable, but I'm more familiar with the old iron. :D

P.S. Any body know what rpm's the 2.96" stroke Mopars ran in the T/A series?

I know the 305ci Keith Black motor (a modified Trans-Am engine, IIRC) that powered the last winged car at Daytona spun to about 11,500RPM.

-
Back