What OD trans to hold 700 ft lbs?

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
What OD transmission can I use that when built will hold up to 650-700 ft lbs and bolt up to a non magnum 360?

Can a 500 or 518 be built to hold that much torque?
I would really like to stay away from electronically controlled transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

How bout a 727 w/ a GearVendors OD on the tail? SMR transmission could answer the 700ft lbs A518 for ya......` www.smrtrans.com

That's a lot of torque for a small block.....

spoke with chris andrews (he wrote the sticky about exploding torqueflights) and his suggestion when was a 727/ gear vendors when there is that much power involved.

I am putting a 518 behind a 440 with a single turbo. They are holding up behind those torque monster cummins . They also offer upgrades, such as hardened input shafts and beefier planetarys.

In this pic the planetarys (on top)
are the upgrades to the stock ones below. The upgraded ones are from the heavy duty 48re tranny and were not expensive.

004.jpg

How bout a 727 w/ a GearVendors OD on the tail? SMR transmission could answer the 700ft lbs A518 for ya......` www.smrtrans.com

That's a lot of torque for a small block.....

I would love to do that but just the gear vendors OD alone pretty much doubles my expense.

Will a 518 bolt up to a 360 or will I need an adapter plate?

Man I've got so much research do to.

[Will a 518 bolt up to a 360 or will I need an adapter plate?

They came stock in trucks with smallblocks so its a bolt in for you. I had to switch to a bolt on bellhousing to adapt to big block.

I called around here to local junk yards to me and requested a rebuildable core , found a518rh which used a kickdown like 727 (hydraulic governor)and with a kit from PATC has a couple of switches to kick in the overdrive automatically without a computer. I bought a core for $200 , plus upgrades to the planetarys and good red alto clutches ,shift kit ,etc. A plus to the 518 it has a better .69 overdrive compared to the gearvendors. I wont have near what a gearvendor would cost, if I wanted something that would hold more power than a 518 I would go to a 4l80e gm tranny with a conversion bellhousing which is basically as stout as a turbo 400 ,this would be the tranny for 1K type power,with upgrades of course

What OD transmission can I use that when built will hold up to 650-700 ft lbs and bolt up to a non magnum 360?

Can a 500 or 518 be built to hold that much torque?
I would really like to stay away from electronically controlled transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Like to see that build nice TQ number that for sure

[Will a 518 bolt up to a 360 or will I need an adapter plate?

They came stock in trucks with smallblocks so its a bolt in for you. I had to switch to a bolt on bellhousing to adapt to big block.

I called around here to local junk yards to me and requested a rebuildable core , found a518rh which used a kickdown like 727 (hydraulic governor)and with a kit from PATC has a couple of switches to kick in the overdrive automatically without a computer. I bought a core for $200 , plus upgrades to the planetarys and good red alto clutches ,shift kit ,etc. A plus to the 518 it has a better .69 overdrive compared to the gearvendors. I wont have near what a gearvendor would cost, if I wanted something that would hold more power than a 518 I would go to a 4l80e gm tranny with a conversion bellhousing which is basically as stout as a turbo 400 ,this would be the tranny for 1K type power,with upgrades of course

Thanks for the info! I greatly appreciate it. :thumbup:

How much butchering to the tunnel did you have to do since its a pretty big transmission?
Another words, would I be looking at totally remaking the tunnel?
I guess it doesn't matter much, just curious.

Any major gotcha's to look out for with the 518 swap?

transgo makes a valve body kit for the 518 to turn it into a full manual, think the part# is tfod-3. you will not need the kick down linkage if you use it. from what i have seen the only draw back of a 518, at least right now, is the choice of valve bodies is somewhat limited. i do remember looking at the smr website and it saying that pretty much any valve body available for a 727 is also available for a 518.

............A 518 will hold ur torque, look at what the diesels crank out, there r lotsa upgrades, a non lock is what u need.........cuda challenger.com has lotsa info on the swap...........kim.......

How much butchering to the tunnel did you have to do since its a pretty big transmission?
Another words, would I be looking at totally remaking the tunnel?
I guess it doesn't matter much, just curious.

Any major gotcha's to look out for with the 518 swap?[/QUOTE]

On my car I decided that I dont want anything to hang down below the frame , because I am setting it down in the weeds pro-touring style.So I moved my engine and tranny up quite a bit. My tunnel will have to be moved up and the upper crossmember at the rear is custom , the advantage to that is the lower crossmember will remain stock bolt in. I dont want anything personally hanging down ,including the exhaust or oil pan,been there done that with putting holes in a pan , no fun.My stock pan 518 hung down as low as the 727 with a deep pan. So its worth a little welding and cutting to me.

My tranny is a non -lock up and you can use a convertor from a 727 with those. Of course make sure its a 518RH . H meaning hydraulic . RE the E means electronic controlled governor.
518's require larger tranny cooler lines versus the 727's too.

-
Back