What Paint/Coating To Use for Dash Bezels

-

archlab

Reaction score
...such as for the bright silver that the original finish used?

Good question. I'm refinishing mine currently. I have a friend who bought a three stage paint process that is supposed to look like chrome when finished. I have tried one spray paint that was awful. I've got another that looks somewhat better, but not like chrome. I'll post more info as I experiment more.

Google Alsa Killer Chrome. Watch the application video It looks good enough on my armrest bases, etc.. but not on the dash bezel.You may be satisfied with the results though. Part of the problem is the shape. The chrome is dry sprayed then hand rubbed for even more shine. It's not so easy to dry spray several different angles and keep it dry. Then buffing the small detail is another challange. Watch the video and note the shape they spray.
Still its as close as you'll get . VAE Restorations can vacuum plate the chrome for you at a decent price.

I used model car paint.... easy & good on plastic, since plastic is harder to paint I used it w/ black / a "chrome" and everything turned out great, and affordable compared to having it done by a pro.
Problem w/ a real deal 3 stage paint job is the small lines/letters and everything are hard to do,

Thanks Ya'll. Your replies are good starting points. I kinda like the Model paint idea - it is made for plastic, so that is appealing. I dunno if that really matters, though.

I have used the 'Bright Silver' spray before. It looks good, but not 100%. It also cracked after about 5-6 years. That may have been a function of the 'sub-finish' I used - a primer. I may just sand, then apply the paint w/out primer the next go-around.

Anyway, thanks & keep 'em coming.

I'm headed to a hobby shop tomorrow to pick up some "chrome" paint. I plan on using an air brush for the gauge bezels, and a small brush for lettering and trim. I'll work on a small area first, to make sure I like the look.

has any one used that also chrome killer stuff? does it look the same as regular chrome and does it last? im curious to know if its worth 115 for a kit, i have several things that i may want to rechrome if it is that good.

If it works for a bumper, then it's gotta work for a plastic bezel. right?
Anyway, I may get the can of chrome, but the 'kit' doesn't seem compelling.
However, for my first (hopefully of many) try, I may do the kit. If I knew that
the undercoat/primer & top coat were the same as 'off the shelf' stuff, I'd probably just go w/ the chrome. But since I can't tell from the webpage, it looks like they may get me for the kit.

I'm also looking at airbrushing. I need to take a trip to an auto paint store to see what they've got in the way of real shiny/bright silver or quasi-chrome. I've got a 'touch-up' gravity feed paint gun that might work for the bezel, but it might spray out too much paint on each stroke for this to work. if that's the case, I'll look at an airbrushing kit from Iwata or Paasche. Iwata seems to be the 'Imperial' of airbrushes, so that may be the route.

So to sum up here's what I'll check out, in order of preference:
1) Auto paint store for plastic Bright Silver paint. Apply w/ my touch-up gun
2) Auto Paint store for plastic Bright Silver paint. Buy & apply w/ an airbrush.
3) Buy Alsa Killer Chrome

I picked this up from some Googl-in':

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alsa-killer-chrome-product-review-146018.html

It seems to be confirming my reluctance to shell out $120 when a $4 can of bright silver & some real fine sandpaper will do. However, I'm not totally convinced the guy who did this review did evrything correctly. But I'm not gonna go for Alsa at this point.

I'd rather go w/ paint, which you know that you can sand & 'work'. The Alsa finish describes itself as more of a metallic application - If I was a hardcore pro, I may feel comfortable using it. But I'm just a guy w/ some medium-level finishing capability.

My verdict: Go w/ a high quality paint available @ a hardware, auto or auto paint store. Krylon, rustoleum, PPG, etc have worked for me in the past.

-
Back