What paint to use for interior parts.

-

lsrguy2007

Reaction score
I'm at the beginning stages of restoring a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. I went to the Mopar swap meet in Indy this weekend and picked up a few parts that need to be painted. I have a few arm rests and also have the two upper door panels. Can someone recommend what type of dye or paint would be god to use? I appreciate any response.

Thanks.

I'm at the beginning stages of restoring a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. I went to the Mopar swap meet in Indy this weekend and picked up a few parts that need to be painted. I have a few arm rests and also have the two upper door panels. Can someone recommend what type of dye or paint would be god to use? I appreciate any response.

Thanks.
All vinyl die (spray paint ) are about the same. Its all in on how you prep it. What paint you go with make sure you get the adhesion promoter. Also clean it with a good wax & grease remover.

Classic Industries has a line of interior plastic paint that has accurate Mopar interior colors. I have used a lot of it, and it's very good. Adhesion promoter is needed on some plastics, but not all. Kick panels for example, need it.

Classic Industries has a line of interior plastic paint that has accurate Mopar interior colors. I have used a lot of it, and it's very good. Adhesion promoter is needed on some plastics, but not all. Kick panels for example, need it.
Ok. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Ok. I'll take a look. Thanks.
Also, check out the SEM website. Top quality products, and they have detailed instructions on the proper cleaning and preparation for each product. They have a wide variety of aerosols, and can mix from formulas too

I've had great luck with SEM color coat for painting vinyl interior parts. Just study the TDS and follow the directions.

I'll take a look at SEM. Also, what are you thoughts on painting a dash pad green? They are cheaper if you buy them black instead of a color like green.

Thanks for your Help

I'll take a look at SEM. Also, what are you thoughts on painting a dash pad green? They are cheaper if you buy them black instead of a color like green.

Thanks for your Help
The vinyl parts like dash pads, arm rests, visors, and seats all take dying very well.
The hard plastic parts like the upper door panels on the 73-76 A bodies often are oxidized, and sometimes a very careful bead blasting with very fine grit will clean it off and leave the texture unharmed. Practice on junk parts first to get the knack

The vinyl parts like dash pads, arm rests, visors, and seats all take dying very well.
The hard plastic parts like the upper door panels on the 73-76 A bodies often are oxidized, and sometimes a very careful bead blasting with very fine grit will clean it off and leave the texture unharmed. Practice on junk parts first to get the knack
Ok. Thanks.

Unless you are doing an absolute concourse restoration, all the above information is great. The only thing I would add is that if you paint over a black dash with a green type dye, it will definitely come out as a darker color of green. :)

-
Back