What paint to use for tail lights

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I want to re paint my 72 Dart Swinger tail lights. What paint is used for the black and the silver and has anyone done this job before? Its going to be a fun tape job in those small areas.
Thanks,

Hi Todd,
I have a 73 Dart Swinger with 71 bumpers and just recently repainted all the silver trim on the tail lights. I researched it and ended up going to a hobby store. I used Model Master -Silver Chrome Trim #2734 (enamel paint) and it cost around $5.00. It has already been out in the rain for a 3 hr. jaunt and I had no problems with it running. The #'s on the 1/2 oz. bottle (goes a long way) were 7561127340 between the barcode ends. I also used a regular size Microbrush for the trim (also got at hobby store) and it worked great. You get 10 green plastic applicator brushes in the pack (about $3.00 or so). As it says on the package, the brushes are also excellent for precise application of adhesives and solvents too. A nice steady hand and it will save you a lot of taping. As far as the black areas, mine were fine, so you'll have to see what works best for you. Hope this helps and Good luck!!!! Any questions, let me know...
All the Best,
Greg

I trimmed my '72 Duster taillights with John Deere Blitz Black satin in a rattle can. Going on 3 years now... and they still look great. It is garaged when not been driven though.
C

I taped up all the red on the lights and shot it with some rustoleum black paint for plastic. I then went and got some model paint in silver and hand brushed the silver trim. It came out nice. Will post pics soon. Thanks for the help.

Here's the pic. Lines are not perfect but neither was factory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 140
-
Back