what parts to get for a 318??

-

willchrisg

Reaction score
so im sure this question has already been asked but iv spent a couple hours searching through the forums and cant find a definite answer or list so im sorry to those who have answered this question a thousand times but iv got a 318 in my duster with a 904 and am looking to get in the 350 hp range the only thing I know about this motor so far is that it has a 4bb carb and a new mini torque starter (probably the hardest damn starter iv ever taken out because the old one was a stock huge one) I want to start making a parts list but don't know what parts are actually worth a crap and what aren't so if someone can give me a shove in the right direction it would be much appreciated :cheers:

Well you need to add a few more details. Like what is your budget? Right off I was thinking a 4" rotating assembly. Now your starting with 396 cu. in.

well im not really worried about budget im going to be buying it piece by piece and assembling it when I have a good amount of **** to do and the interior is done plus im in the navy so I got a job that pays for parts plus a credit card hahaha

350 is doable with a stock stroke 318, but it's gonna be approaching a nasty street engine. Don't know if you want to go that radical or not. I recommend the stroker option like Roy suggested, or a 360........or lowering your goal to the 300-325 range and using the 318.

well this isn't my daily in fact I cant even drive it right now (windshield is out cause due to rot and corrosion and dash is dropped) but id like to keep the ability of just going out for a drive in it as an option any specific stroker kit you suggest?

I don't like kits. I know....it will be more expensive piecing something together, but you can pick and choose exactly what you want, instead of some one else's choices. You may well find something you like in a kit, so shop around.

Mike Liston at MRL Performance would be a great start. He is a vendor on this site. Great guy. He will give you great advice whether you choose to buy from him or not.

The Eddy Air Gap always comes up. Doug's and TTI headers. If you have deep pockets, go for it.

hahah pockets aren't deep they just get refilled twice a month lol 2 more questions I know comp cam makes pretty good camshafts what duration and lift should I go for if I don't decide to stroke it and just do the normal bolt on upgrades? and how do I give you like a thumbs up or some **** for helping me figure this out

You should call Howards, Schneider, Lunati and see about a custom grind for whichever engine you build. That's the best way to get the most power for your combination.

What I would do IF the engine needed a total rebuild;
(Or that's the route being taken anyway.)

Clean cylinder bores up or bore it .030 with torque plate.
KB Hyper-U's installed at zero deck height.
Comps XE 268 cam - (Only since you mentioned them.)
Bowl ported iron heads, 202's or Edelbrock heads
Roller rockers (Hughes)
tti headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust with X pipe
RPM-AG intake with a 650 carb

Turbocharger................. Crank it up til it blows, grab another teener and do it again.

You can spend the money on the NA engine and get a very peaky weekend warrior. That you then have to buy a TC for and a set of rear gears, and headers, and dink around withe the ignition tune, etc.and totalling, maybe $10,000 or more. And if/when it blows up you can spend another load of cash fixing that.(possibly another 4gs.)

Or you can spend about the same amount of dough(maybe a little less) on the installed turbo "kit",and get a docile, drive-it-anywhere/anytime, pleasure-to-drive pkg;Which if/when it blows up, costs a couple of hundred to replace. Teeners are everywhere, cheap, and have the already pre-engineered lower end.All you need is a set of better heads,and maybe pistons if you really want to push it.And with the turbo, 350hp is easy.

Just saying. Thats what I would do.

Here are some basic refresh kits at affordable prices that you can use and build off of (pun intended).

You can get just main & rod bearings, rings, & gaskets for $200 in the basic kits A & B.

Or go with the more complete kits in C & D with all of the other kit, but oil pump, freeze & oil galley plugs, and pistons. Kit C has cast pistons, kit D has forged.

http://www.manciniracing.com/enrebkit.html

What I would do IF the engine needed a total rebuild;
(Or that's the route being taken anyway.)

Clean cylinder bores up or bore it .030 with torque plate.
KB Hyper-U's installed at zero deck height.
Comps XE 268 cam - (Only since you mentioned them.)
Bowl ported iron heads, 202's or Edelbrock heads
Roller rockers (Hughes)
tti headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust with X pipe
RPM-AG intake with a 650 carb

Second this. I saw that because it's pretty much identical to what I'm building!

-
Back