What Pitman arm etc do I need for this setup?...

-

BlueSwinger

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Yes, I've searched the forums and read a bunch of threads about power steering to manual conversion. I'm still confused, sue me! Lots of people seem to be confused in those threads, adding to my hesitation. I already know I need the PS to manual column adapter (or a new column).

I've already bought some parts for my car that aren't even going to work now for various reasons, so want to get this decision right!!!

My Setup:
- '70 Dart 318 car with a/c, so has stock 10" front drums.
- Installing '73 11.75" front disc brake setup. I have upper (and lower) control arms, pretty much everything but the pitman arm.

Questions:
- Do I need to find a -'72 Manual steering box? Or can I use the later manual steering box? (Some say it matters, others don't... I want the answer from someone who has done it!
- Since I have the '73 discs, do I use a '73- pitman arm? Or '-72?
- Is there anything else I need to change from my '70 setup? Idler arm...? ???

Thanks in advance.

All depends on the centerlink, if its the original one you need to use a 72 and older steering box and a 68-72 pitman arm. The 68-72 centerlink will have the nuts for the pitman and idler arms facing the engine, 73 and newer has them facing the ground. The idler arm doesn't need to be changed unless you're changing the centerlink.

Ok, then unless there is a reason to change them (it doesn't sound like there is, according to what you're saying), I'll be using my original '70 centerlink and idler. I'll just get a '72 or older manual steering box.

I will need to get a '68-'72 pitman arm specifically made for manual steering though, correct?

Thanks for the assist!

The pitman & idler arms are Year of k frame exclusive. 67 1 year only,68-72 (same) 73-6 (same)

Yes,you will need a manual steer pitman arm for that year k frame. It is different. I have swapped many boxes through the years & have never ran across any differences.

The pitman arms are the same for manual and power steering 68-72.

And yes, just get a manual box from a 72 and older.

Okay...

I hope you guys see why I'm confused. I see this same thing in every thread about this, and it's happening here now too. Some people say that the manual and PS pitman arm is different, and other people say it's the same. No one seems to agree.

Fortunately, now I know that I need a '72-back manual steering box, everyone seems to agree on that. That's half my battle (so Chuck, yours probably wouldn't have worked for me anyway). Good deal.

If nothing else, I guess when I order the rest of the parts from PST, I will just ask them to be sure, and I'm assuming that replacing that Pitman arm is a good idea either way... everyone seems to recommend that...? Otherwise, I could save $ and just use my current Pitman arm if I can use my PS one.

Thanks for all the replies.

The pitman arms are the same on the 68-72 cars regardless of power or manual steering.

The 73-76 pitman has different part #'s for manual and power.

The pitman arms are the same on the 68-72 cars regardless of power or manual steering.

The 73-76 pitman has different part #'s for manual and power.

Thank you. And you know, now that you say this, when I look at the PST catalog, it makes sense, since for '73-'76 it says it costs more for the manual steering one, but says nothing like that for the earlier Pitman.

Looks like this is mostly settled unless anyone has any advice on whether I should replace that Pitman arm or not... is it really that high-stress of a piece that I should replace it no matter what?

Again, to everyone... thanks for the help.

-
Back