what pressure plate and clutch is best?

-

Reaction score
Hi All FABO members , just wondering what clutch everybody is using for street/strip applications. I am running a hays borg/beck pressure plate and it is a little nasty for street use, but it grabs great at the track,not the best for power shifts though. I am running a warmed up 340 with a stock 833 tranny. does anybody have any problems with there centerforce clutch? i have heard rumors that they are not made as well as they used to be? any comments. Also how are the Mcleod clutches?
thanks Dave

I've got the McCleod 11" street/strip clutch and pressure plate behind my 360.

I will let you know how it works LOL!
I still haven't fired the car up yet.

Mulinax95 has one behind his 360 and has been playing with it on the street.

I got mine from Brewers performance.

Just put the C.F dual friction in.No problems as of yet.See vid. ( Ran it yesterday)in racer,s forum.Gonna launch harder next week.

What is everyone using?

It does not matter what everyone else is running. It really depends on what you NEED to run. Is the car going to be strip only, street only, hot street, etc..

I contacted Brewers thinking of going with Centerforce right off the bat. Wayne at Brewers explained a few things to me that I might needed to know and I purchased the McLeod clutch and pressure plate. Another words he set me up with a healthier clutch system than what I was going to buy. I would call Brewers and ask for Wayne.

If you go with a diaphram type pressure plate then you will have to remove the over center spring.

I absolutely love my clutch system compared to the stock version. Very smooth and easy on the leg! But pop it and it will grab hard.

I didn,t have to remove nothing.Put it in and go.(WOW that sounds a little dirty)LMAO!!

You should remove it. The diaphragm pressure plate puts more pressure on the clutch with less foot effort. My clutch is much easier to push and hold now compared to the stock set up with the over the center spring.

I had a ZOOM OE replacement clutch set behind my 370ish HP Barracuda until one of the supports that holds one of the fingers fractured. This clutch wouldn't allow full stroke of the clutch pedal without the fingers touching the disk! Ouch!!! But with a block of wood under the carpet it worked fine otherwise.

I just installed a RAM "Muscle Car" clutch, their unit between OE and Race. Its supposed to be good for 500 HP. Anyway, much smoother than than the ZOOM and takes all the abuse I have dished out to it. It also doesn't have the issue with the fingers contacting the disk.
NOTE: the reason for the touching is the ZOOM's disk has a much thicker hub that sits about 1/2" than the friction material on the tranny side, the RAM is about 1/4").

hi, I've ran the Mcloed B&B/long pressure plate with a series 300 disc for drag racing. the long style fingers have a better ratio for softer pedal . also, there is loops on outside of fingers, for C/W to be added. the base pressure can be set kind of low, and C/W added for lockup. I ran a 2000 # base and no C/W, worked great. later on, went down to 1400# base, with little C/W, it was lot better, shifted great. lot easier on parts also. the last setup , ran 11.40's in a 3400 # duster with 340 stocker motor. the B&B /long pressure plate is the best setup. once I went to this clutch, had no problems with it. btw, don't have to remove over center spring either.

thanks for all the input guys. i am still torn between the centerforce or Mcleod. I will probably only drag the car once or twice a year. running about 375- 400 h.p. Any one would be better than the hays borg and beck style i am running now. It does grab great though.

thanks for all the input guys. i am still torn between the centerforce or Mcleod. I will probably only drag the car once or twice a year. running about 375- 400 h.p. Any one would be better than the hays borg and beck style i am running now. It does grab great though.

Call and talk to these guys. They are all Mopar! Couldn't hurt. Tell them all the info on your car and intended use. They have both the CenterForce and McLeod. I personally wanted a clutch that would grab of course but didn't want to have to just about rip the steering wheel out trying to hold down the clutch pedal at a red light either. LOL!

http://www.brewersperformance.com/default.htm

Hayes Mark 12 adjustable long style plate, with iron 11 inch disc bolted to Hayes steel 12 bolt FW in a lakewood can/belhousing

-
Back