What pushrods have you used with 318 whiplash?

-

vtmopar

Reaction score
Stock 318 302 heads.
Purchased full whiplash kit from hughs.
Machine shop used intake valve retainers on the exhaust, hughs recommended this.
During startup bent push rods.
(Comp 7820 rods.) Plan on calling hughs first thing tomorrow.
Im thinking way to weak of push rods for the springs and lift?
Rocker arms are stock, appear to be ok.
Whats your thoughts?

where the lifter soaked in oil before they were installed?

Is the retainer to valve guide clearance adequate? Are the springs binding?

Any milling on the heads?

This cam's lift is enough to force the retainers into the valve guide bosses inside the springs, unless you checked them all and ground them down for clearance to the retainers. That would bend the pushrods on the 1st cycle.

Yes lifters were soaked.
Springs dont seem to be binding.
I had the machine shop make sure theres clearance with the retainers but it could be wrong.
Im hoping the stock length push rods too long.

Yes lifters were soaked.
Springs dont seem to be binding.
I had the machine shop make sure theres clearance with the retainers but it could be wrong.
Im hoping the stock length push rods too long.

soaking the lifters can cause bend pushrods by keeping the valves from shutting on initial start up..and hitting piston...and bending pushrods....

Were they told of the lift being used?

Notice that the pushrod lengths and strength are not being questioned....not likely your problem.

Im thinking your right, pulling the heads now have them checked.
Need to make it right. Really want to run this cam.
Sucks car was almost finished.
First time ive used this shop, the guy retired i was using.

Well, you can check the retainer to guide clearance in the car, unless you really think that is the issue. Put a rope or some air in a cylinder, pull those valve springs, put on just the retainers and keepers, and check from the side to get a pretty good idea of that clearance.

I'd look to have about .060' extra clearance from the bottom of the retainer to the valve stem seal, above the valve lift. The seal's softness might let you get by with a bit less.

if the lifters are full of oil rotate the crank 1/8 at a time twice to let the lifters bled down
cam could be in wrong
guides could be sticking ( I bent some 3/8 440 pushrods due to valves sticking in the guides - bad gas varnish)

Just removed the heads, intake valves just hitting the pistons
Valves look fine very minimal damage to the pistons.
Have everything checked have the intake valve retainers and seats lowered.
Thanks for the replies.

Well, don't think the valves cannot be bent... it is impossible for most (or maybe all) folks to visually see a slightly bent valve.

If it is all of the intakes, then I'd be nervous about what was mentioned in post #12..... cam installed wrong... i.e., wrong cam timing.

I put a Whiplash cam in my 318.
Stock pushrods and no pre-soaking the lifters per the instructions.
No problem for mine.....

Jeff

use the Sunnen OD hone on the valvestems will show up even the smallest bend and put a nice crosshatch on them for oil (damn unleaded gas)
you can check them for concentricity also

-
Back