what "rake" do you like?

-

freshayr

Reaction score
Ok...still deciding on tires. What rake do you guys find you like? do you run the same diameter tires front and back or different?

I don't have same size tires front and rear but thats because I race it and like the look. When I just ran it on the street I ran the same size front and rear. It handled much better that way!!!

i prefer a car level, a little higher in the back isnt too bad, as long as it doesnt look like something from 1978

I prefer a garden rake to a leaf rake myself..........................LOL

actually I also run different front and rears but thats because I need something wide and sticky in back so I run a 12.50 X 15 in the rear and a 215 x 14 in front

On my 66 Vart I have 195-70-R14 tires on the front and 225-60-R14 BFG's on the rear. I've also installed a set of 70 Duster 340 springs which I had re-arched and had an extra leaf added, and a set of 6 Cyl torsion bars up front. If memory serves me correctly, I have the bars adjusted to give me about a 2" rake to the front, measured at the front and rear of the rockers. With the sort of low nose and high rear deck area of these cars, I think the slight forward rake gives them that mean Mopar look that makes the competition think twice about toying with you at the traffic lights. I'd give you an exact measurement but my Vart is on the rotisserie right now and the figures may be off slightly. :)

I run a 27" tall tire on the front and 28" rear. My car sits bout 2.5" higher in the rear then the front. I would perfer it level or 1" higher in the rear at most though.

Adam, I still don't know how you are getting that 27" tire in there. :)

Actually if you look in this picture my car sits pretty high up front. The top of the tire is pretty even with the wheel opening.

im000581_450x337.jpg

I made a mistake on mine ...the front tires are 205 -75 x 14 26 inches tall and the rears are right and also 26 inches tall

my car looks jacked up but is pretty close to level

I went the big-n-little route. I like the look, but I am ready for something new. The skinnies in front can be a handful on rough roads, especially without power steering. I wan't to keep about the same size on the rear, but go wider on the front.

My Dart has 225/60/15 on the front and 28X13.5X15 on the back..I liked the rake first..When you got on it she levelled out but I don't like the stance at rest...That is why I am trying to sell the back tires and go with a shorter tire.

Big and little here too. Level or slight rake
8x15 in the back 3.5 back spacing 295/60/15 Still need to work on the inner fender well to fit 10" rim in the back
3.5X15 front I'm using a stock VW style tire

I like the way we have the boys Dart sitting in this pic. Here it still had the stock springs with air shocks. Ron

22948023.jpg

Here it is after we put the SS springs on it and went from a 26" to 28" tire. A tad higher then we wanted in the rear but not bad as this is before the springs settled. Ron

96614704.jpg

The "jackem up" stance might be OK for the strip, but that's about all. It can be downright dangerous in the twisties.

I had the benefit of direct comparison on this subject, starting about 6 weeks ago. The scrapheap-ready '74 Duster I bought for a project last summer had some long rear shackles and 15" wheels, looking like a damn stink bug (a-la 93 toyota). That thing wallowed around the turns so bad I was almost afraid to drive it. Weak springs, no swaybar and back end perched way up there just made it an accident waiting to happen.

Fast forward to around the beginning of the year when I completed the rear chasiss and suspension work: SS Springs on inverted front hangers w/sway bar and proper HD shocks. Sits just about stock/level. I can throw that thing into any turn at any speed now (within sane reason) and it just squats and sticks. In fact, I have been unable to summon the courage to get nary a tiny squeal out of any tire. Wish I had something to measure the g-force it is pulling.

So jackem 'em up all you want, just don't expect it to handle real well.

I only have the small bolt pattern, but I really liked the lowered tubed look. I went for the fronts:
215/60R14 which stand 23" and about 8" wide
245/60R14 which stand 25" and about 10" wide. This is all it can handle without spring relocation.
The front was lowered just slightly to get rid of some of the air gap.

pic6.jpg

pic1.JPG

dubldart340 said:
I went the big-n-little route. I like the look, but I am ready for something new. The skinnies in front can be a handful on rough roads, especially without power steering. I wan't to keep about the same size on the rear, but go wider on the front.

dubldart340, now you have a nice stance dude!!! :thumblef: Just love the way you rear rims meet your finder lip and hardly any gap up front...cool.

IMHO it depends on the car. I hate the look of a Barracuda fastback that is jacked. Level or a bit nose up (unless the car is lowered) is the way to go in my book.

AdamR said:
Actually if you look in this picture my car sits pretty high up front. The top of the tire is pretty even with the wheel opening.

im000581_450x337.jpg

How do you get the front up a bit if someone wanted to? Torsion bars??

thanks, I think it turned out pretty good myself.:thumblef:

I still think I need to change some, but just don't have the $ right now.

think my picture is alitle to big to put in here but i like the way my duster sits with 295/50-14 tires in the back and 205/60-14 tires in the front only thing i could think of making it alitle better is to lower the front end alitle more but i dont dare doing so with my oilpan soo close to the ground:(

here is a adress where you can find a picture http://www.wheelsmagazine.se/member/photolarge.php?id=3787

-
Back