What Rear Bumper Is This?

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
After posting pictures of my 69 Dart GT, it was mentioned to me that the rear bumper in the picture is not the correct one for a 69. Anyone have any idea what year this might be from (and if it might be from a different make)? I would like to put the correct bumper on my car, so I might be willing to let this go to someone interested in the bumper. PM me if interested.

Also, has anyone seen the back of the trunk lettered like that instead of having the panel? I am going to switch to the panel because I like the looks better.

Your car looks like a '67 Dart GT with '69 tail lights to me.
What are the first 6 digits of the v.i.n.?
If the v.i.n. is on the inside of the driver's door pillar, it's a '67 anyway.

Forgot to mention that I also have the original sales receipt for the car when it was first purchased in September 1968.

It's a '67 rear bumper - the only year to have back-up (reverse) lights in the bumper.
In '68 and '69 the back-up lights were incorporated into the tail lights.

Here is the fender tag. It is also titled as a 69 Dart GT.

Thanks for posting this info. :thumblef:
My best guess is that the rear bumper and trunk lid were changed to '67 Dart stuff quite a long time ago, maybe it was hit in the rear and it was changed then.
The GT (and GTS) in '69 had a large aluminum applique on the trunk lid at the back and no stand alone d o d g e lettering like yours has.
Nice early build '69 Dart GT 318 car you have there in a great color! (bronze)
Here's a couple of pics of the tail panel and the bumper as it should be.

Attachments

• 69ddartgtbyrrossi_3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 242
  • mopp_0802_abod_10_z+69_dodge_dart_GTS_hardtop+.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 234
Dartnut, will a new trunk panel attach to the trunk that is currently on the car, or would I have to replace the entire trunk lid? Would the ignition key match the trunk lid, or would it be a different cut key? Noticed when he gave me the car that there were two sets of keys. Would hate to have to replace all that.

A GTS trunk applique panel will fit your existing trunk lid but you'll need the correct clips for it so get them at the same time. Don't mount any applique panel with sheet metal screws like the prior owner of my current '69 Dart did - now I've got to fill those holes too.
Separate keys:
Ignition and doors are keyed alike (Pentagram shaped key head).
Glove compartment (if lockable) and trunk are keyed alike (round key head).

The '69 Dart 340 Swinger did not have the applique panel and had a 1-piece DODGE badge centered above the key lock.

Thanks for the info. I want to switch to the panel that goes across the back. I will have to take a look at how those letters are fastened on. The metal in the trunk lid is actually in very good shape. Don't think I will have to replace a lot of sheet metal (mainly some fender patches). The underside, floor pans, and wheel wells are in excellent shape. FABO has been great already.

A GTS trunk applique panel will fit your existing trunk lid but you'll need the correct clips for it so get them at the same time. Don't mount any applique panel with sheet metal screws like the prior owner of my current '69 Dart did - now I've got to fill those holes too.
Separate keys:
Ignition and doors are keyed alike (Pentagram shaped key head).
Glove compartment (if lockable) and trunk are keyed alike (round key head).

The '69 Dart 340 Swinger did not have the applique panel and had a 1-piece DODGE badge centered above the key lock.

Decided to take a closer look at the bumper and specifically those lights. Discovered the plugs for the lights tucked up tight behind the bumper, but it looks like they were never plugged in. Probably a sign of a damaged bumper that was replaced. Did a closer inspection of the trunk floor and rear section of the side body panels and frame and there is no sign of previous damage. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in the bumper that apparently came off of a '67 Dart, send me a message. I am more than willing to sell it to replace with the correct bumper.

Also, has anyone seen the back of the trunk lettered like that instead of having the panel? I am going to switch to the panel because I like the looks better.

I just got a service manual for my 69 Dart and the diagram in the book seems to indicate that the trunk lid would need mount holes (for pins I assume) all the way around the rectangle to mount a trunk trim panel too. This might be an obvious question, but does this mean that I have to swap out my entire trunk lid to mount a trim panel?

-
Back