What rear springs to run?

-

solracmopar

Reaction score
Wondering what some of you guys are running for rear leaf springs? I was advised to check out Espo but don't have a clue on what to look or ask for. My car is mainly used for street driving (picture attached). I like the stance of the car now so I'm wondering if there's a spring that'll keep me close to where I'm at? One thing I do know is I don't want that *** end up in the air look. Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 12.46.55 PM.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 643
I would say the xhd springs, do not go to super stock unless you like driving down hill.

If you like how it sits now, why do you need new springs?

Good point. Whenever I have two semi heavy adults in the rear seat I notice the car bottoms out. In the future I'll have my two kids riding in the back if anyone. I also just bought a 8.75 / 3:55 complete rear end that I'll be installing and since I'd be there I figured swap. A buddy of mine who's seen the car says my springs are shot.. Maybe not?

How old are the rear shocks? Shocks control the springs. They don't hold a car up but new, quality shocks may control the springs enough to prevent bottoming.

Other than that, I would go with some XHD replacements. I got mine from the local dodge dealer but it's best to shop around.

I have a specific spring that I sell for these. It's a steel six leaf that sits just right. It is not a cheap spring. PM me if you are interested.

The car looks fine now. In fact it looks like it is already higher in the rear than it should be as stock.
I suspect the reason it is bottoming out is because of the larger tire size.
I fixed this by adding a leaf or maybe changing one leaf to a longer one.
To tell you the truth, I can’t remember which one I did.
But I’m running a Diplomat rear under a Dart Sport and it’s wider too. So I had an issue with my 15 cop tires hitting with a load in the car.
Either way I had scrap springs lying around and that’s what it did.
I didn’t want an *** up look either. So no extra arch. Just stiffer.

Be aware that if you stiffen up the rear of a car you tend to increase oversteer.
If you stiffen up the front of a car you tend to increase understeer. (Desirable)
Also I’ve got it in my brain, I think from Larry Shepherd, that Chrysler designed the leaf springs to be almost flat at ride to improve handling.
(T/As and AARs excluded for exhaust clearance. They had an arch)
So when someone says springs are flat, that’s normal.
And I'm also of the belief, that shocks aren't for holding the car up.
They are for dampening purposes.

I have a 67 GT that came with original 6 leaf GT heavy duties. I also replaced the 7 1/4 with a shortened 8 3/4 w/3.55's. Relocated the spring hangers with an offset kit and replaced the springs with exhvy duties from Mancini Racing. The Mancini springs have less leafs but the arch was about 1" higher when they were placed side by side with the old springs but once they were under the car they settled nicely and the ride is fantastic. I do however still have the old springs in case I feel like spending a few days changing them out...or may look to sell them at some point.

I have a specific spring that I sell for these. It's a steel six leaf that sits just right. It is not a cheap spring. PM me if you are interested.

whats not cheap?? i'm looking to buy a set of springs for jamies dart...

define it sits "just right". have any good pics of your car with them on?

Wish I had a better pic for you ...running 9295/50/15's on the rear.

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 636
  • 034.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 628
Def would not go with SS springs unless you like the lopsided ride or are making a race machine.

Wondering what some of you guys are running for rear leaf springs? I was advised to check out Espo but don't have a clue on what to look or ask for. My car is mainly used for street driving (picture attached). I like the stance of the car now so I'm wondering if there's a spring that'll keep me close to where I'm at? One thing I do know is I don't want that *** end up in the air look. Thanks in advance..

well it depends how high you really want the rear to sit.. the rear of your car is at least 1" higher then stock, maybe more.

i'm not sure your springs are shot. define two "semi heavy" adults. it may be just a fact of life that it will sag to the point of bottoming with a load like that...

here ya go.. just for example purposes... all these cars have the 6 leaf espo springs on them...

these two have their +1" springs. tires are close to stock height...

DSCN6544.jpg

DSCN6542.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

this car has espo +2" springs. its too high for my liking so i'll be pulling them off and putting something that makes it sit more of a stock height.

DSC_0039.jpg

IMG_1851-1.jpg

Thanks for posting your pics on here guys. Nothing like visual. My shocks are actually pretty new. I think the side picture of my car is a little deceiving. Here's another angle shortly after paint.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 577
Abodiejoe : that orange car sits just right ! ....

I love when the spring question comes up ! Everyone has there opinions on ride height and quality. My car currently has the 002/003 super stock springs. Rear of car is dead level, ride is more than tolerable (and i am always traveling with the wife and 2 kids), and i don't feel like I'm driving down hill ... Obviously i prefer a car with some rake, nothing ridiculous, just like to see some sidewall out back ....

Abodiejoe : that orange car sits just right ! ....

I love when the spring question comes up ! Everyone has there opinions on ride height and quality. My car currently has the 002/003 super stock springs. Rear of car is dead level, ride is more than tolerable (and i am always traveling with the wife and 2 kids), and i don't feel like I'm driving down hill ... Obviously i prefer a car with some rake, nothing ridiculous, just like to see some sidewall out back ....

Got any pics you can post up here?

sure do ! ... and keep in mind i am running 15" out back / 14" up front ... this is after i raised the front up, torsion bars were loose before which dropped the nose ..

Attachments

• dsc_0006.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 543
  • dsc_0013.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCN3574.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 562
This is with the nose way down .... have adjusted the torsion bars since this picture .. and again, i have an extra inch of height from the larger rear wheels ..

Attachments

• DSCN3581.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 581
Very nice! Looks like maybe 1" higher than where I'm at now.. When you say 002/003 are you saying Espo or stock Mopar springs?

SS springs are for hooking your launch with the right slicks on the back, along with all the other tuning for that.

XHD springs came on many of the GT type models and i've never heard anyone complain after they got them... ;)

there are aftermarkets, but really to me it's not the looks that matter so much. you could nit pick all day about too high too low yadi yadi yadi but what matters is that they work the way you want for the type of driving you do.

SS = great for drag
XHD great for street
autocross = i've heard of people using 2 of the drivers side SS springs haha

it's all what you want. again, i wouldnt worrry too much about looks rather look at what works best. if you are carrying passengers around a lot you probably want that extra 1" have them sit in the back then it looks perfect lol

you can also spent 1k or 2k for a fancy setup in the back end but you probably wont notice a difference unless you have a 700ft/lb drive train and are doing too many wheelies at launch and you want to keep the front down

-
Back