What screws are used on 68 Barracuda Headlight and Grille surround trims?

-

Fishing68

Reaction score
Hello FABO.

Does anyone know what screws were used on a 1968 Barracuda headlight trim and front grille trim? (There is one through each headlight trim and one through each of the grille trim for a total of four). The trim pieces are the ones that have the black painted line running through them.

I have searched but have had no luck finding these fasteners or any info on the topic. My car has them missing - except one, that may or may not be correct. It looks like a stainless Philips truss head sheet metal screw in maybe a #10 x 1/2" long - but the back side of the head has a radial pattern that looks like it is designed to grab and prevent the screw from loosening. That fastener is installed holding one of the headlight trims on but is not long enough to use at the front grille location so I think there are different lengths needed for the headlight trim and grille trim.

Thanks for any help!

Hello FABO.

Does anyone know what screws were used on a 1968 Barracuda headlight trim and front grille trim? (There is one through each headlight trim and one through each of the grille trim for a total of four). The trim pieces are the ones that have the black painted line running through them.

I have searched but have had no luck finding these fasteners or any info on the topic. My car has them missing - except one, that may or may not be correct. It looks like a stainless Philips truss head sheet metal screw in maybe a #10 x 1/2" long - but the back side of the head has a radial pattern that looks like it is designed to grab and prevent the screw from loosening. That fastener is installed holding one of the headlight trims on but is not long enough to use at the front grille location so I think there are different lengths needed for the headlight trim and grille trim.

Thanks for any help!
Here you go..

Cheers!

https://521restorations.com/1967-68-Barracuda-Grill-Mounting-Hardware-Kit/

67 and 68 both use a special 8-32 machine screw, not sheet metal screws. These can be quite hard to find (I need some as well)
IMG_5201.JPEG

Alan

Thanks for the response. Does that kit also contain the headlight surround trim screws for the one year only 1968
Yes,

They are the two beveled screws on the bottom of the pic.

Yes,

They are the two beveled screws on the bottom of the pic.
I believe that for the 68 barracuda there is one screw in each of the headlight trim pieces and the 67 has none. I also believe the corresponding trim around the grill area has one screw in each piece for both the 68 and 67.

If the kit you are talking about has two beveled screws for the headlight trim then are the screws for the grill trim different (not beveled?) - that seems odd since they are visible together and fall within the same visual line that continues as a black recessed stripe.

I can see the "68 only" screw being a sheet metal but all the others should not be. All the screws in that kit look to be sheet metal screws, also not enough to do both bezels (if this kit even includes the bezels).

I'd have to check but I believe the grill (67 & 68) are only held in with nuts.

Alan

That might be why the 521 kit comes with the corresponding nuts that might be sheet metal thread?? Although why would a nut be sheet metal thread.

All the original 68 screws were 8/32 thread. I found them years ago in stainless, but they don't have that pointed tip. The inner screw heads are painted with black head to match the blackout on the inner headlight bucket.

-
Back