what seat for drag car kirkey or poly

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
what seats are you guys using and feel better in??? I have some of the poly seats and have 1 in my street car...for the new car I was thinking of the kirkey seat but not sure if I need a seat that cost that much or if they would sit or feel or even be that much more safe... anybody have used both ??? what seat did you feel better in ....:D

hey bob what you doing up so late???????:D yea I have to get some rod ends ......I ordered a propoition valve today so once I get that here I will be changing the lines to the right place....also the headers should be here 1 day this week they took the cash out yesterday so I guess they have been shipped....:D:D:D:D:D:D

I agree with bob,(your not in them that long) poly is what I have in my car.

up late!!!!!!!! I stayed up and watched the yellowbullit nats till they were over and I'm up early now. LOL, us senior people have weird sleep patterns.

Use what your comfortable with. The poly seats are cheap and they work. The Kirky is a racing seat, better construction. Fits your body better for lateral support witch you will be thankful for if you ever crash one! Kirky for me....

I agree with ^^^^^ Coffee ^^^ the Kirkey is the safer way to go, if properly installed, and you safety harness is installed properly.

that is no street car or Dune Buggy your building.

I have kirkeys going in mine, i put more foam in mine, they are pretty comfy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 308
I had the summit plastic with covers in my Valiant and they were comfortable enough. I also think they look a lot better then the aluminum ones. I still have stock bucket seats in my D50, I am thinking about going with the summit ones to loose weight.

I have sat in the Kirkeys and I like them OK.

However, There are two reasons that I have poly seats in all my cars.

One is the price as already mentioned. I don't put "cheap" parts on my cars, but I do put high quality bargain parts on my cars.

The main reason is summer time racing. I use the poly seats in my race cars without any vinyl covers. The seat stays much cooler that way while sitting in the summer sun between rounds. I can go over to my buddies car, who has Kirkeys, and they are pretty warm. Not so hot that you can't sit in them, but plenty enough to be unpleasant.

wow it just amazes me. I feel like I travel thru a time warp when I come to this site.

no I see where the videos come from that "can't believe he walked away"

you're only in the seat for 10 seconds or less.

What kind of racing are you doing. If you are running a full harness and a bunch of safety stuff then your sitting in your car from the minute you pull out of the pit until you pull back in. Burnout and staging alone will be longer then ten seconds.

You spend more time then you realize waiting around in the drivers seat. Get comfy!!

you're only in the seat for 10 seconds or less.

I'd like to know how you do it Bob.

I have to get in mine to drive it to the staging lanes. After I set the tire pressures and see the first pair crank up to go into the water box, I get back in my car and strap in. How long I'm there before getting into the water box depends on a few things. How many pairs are in front of me. How many of those guys in front of me are the kind that takes forever between the burnout and getting staged.

Then I get to run and have to drive back to the pits.

At that time I could have spent 5-10 minutes in the car.

Lot different than 10 seconds.

I'd like to know how you do it Bob.

I have to get in mine to drive it to the staging lanes. After I set the tire pressures and see the first pair crank up to go into the water box, I get back in my car and strap in. How long I'm there before getting into the water box depends on a few things. How many pairs are in front of me. How many of those guys in front of me are the kind that takes forever between the burnout and getting staged.

Then I get to run and have to drive back to the pits.

At that time I could have spent 5-10 minutes in the car.

Lot different than 10 seconds.

What if someone leaks crap all over the track when your next up. There's a few more minutes. Now if your like me and got a slower car then you can hop out and stretch your legs but the guys with the fast crap don't get that luxury.

I have had both. Kirkey in the car now. Biggest difference is crotch bolster and head room. If you ara tall like me the Kirkey can ne mounted lower. Also like being able to through bolt the seat.

I have had both. Kirkey in the car now. Biggest difference is crotch bolster and head room. If you ara tall like me the Kirkey can ne mounted lower. Also like being able to through bolt the seat.

don`t like the plastic ones, *** is too wide for them !!

My car had a poly seat in it when I got it. I never could get it to sit just right for me. I was offered a Kirkey seat by a friend who had it sitting around his shop. We built a set of brackets & used the Summitt adjustables. We finally got it to sit just right so it is comfortable.

here some post from another site.

A well seasoned racer said to me your not putting plastic seats in my build I said Nur I am going with kirkys !!
I asked why did he ask ? He said he,d seen some cars that had been on fire not real bad ones or total losses
And the plastic ones had melted ?? He said would you like to have plastic burns as well in a deformed seat
?? Make it what you will

Originally Posted by richard24 View Post
I can't believe this is an argument. Poly seats should be outlawed in my opinion. Why in the hell would anyone think they are safe with a plastic seat in a race car?
I think I have to agree. They are outlawed in round track and should be in drag cars also. Kirkeys are much safer ( if properly mounted), and give your car a much more professional look

My last serious car had a poly seat. It was rather uncomfortable if you had to sit in it for a while, and that was with 15 years less of abuse on my back and body. I'm going with Kirkey on the new one.

if you're in a car fire long enough for the poly seat to melt under you, you have another problem to deal with.

ok Bob you are so Pro on using Polyseats? what do you have in your car.

and you never know how long you will be trapped in a car on fire.

I have a friend who got 2nd and 3rd degree burns in a race car.

the transmission blew up at 1000' ft. into the run and this is what happen.
his driving shoes melted to the floor pan, burned his hands to where he lost several fingers, burned his everywhere the helmet had skin exposed.

all the aluminum sheet metal,gauges,lexan and fiberglass from the driver seat forward melted.
pulled the parachute and the cords for it burned off the car. so to stop the car while driving blind from the fire, he decided to make a hard turn into the wall.

this was a car capable of running high 7's. now would you want to be sitting in a poly seat for all this?

-
Back