What sensors are needed to use the MSD 6Hemi controller with a 32t crank 6.1L ? I've been told I'd need two 5.7 sensors and then one from the 4.7

-

wncmoparguy

Reaction score
I have a pair of 6.1's -they are both 2008 32 tooth reluctor engines, low mileage, no VVT.

I would like to run an MSD 6Hemi. I saw it done with a stock 6.1 put in a 1974 Charger. I asked the owner how he adapted it as he said he did everything on the car- he admitted that he had not done the driveline. He said to use two sensors off of a 5.7 and then he couldn't remember where the 3rd sensor I need came from. He thought 4.7 and a guy who had a 5.7 Hemi in his 'Cuda said that the sensor came out of a 2.7 or 3.5

If anyone can confirm, I will order the sensors.

I have a carbureted manifold for the 6.1, and I just need the 6Hemi to manage spark as obviously no distributor is available(thanks for stealing $1700 Southeast R/T- you promised the distributor kit from Arrow/Prefix would be shipped. That's been over a year, and you knew they had no stock).

Thanks all.

You can use the 6.1 cam, crank, and map sensors. The cam and crank are same as 5.7. The map sensors are different between the two in that how they attach to the intake. The 5.7 is a snap in and twist. The 6.1 uses two screws to attach to the aluminum manifold. The 6.1 MAP is the one you want.

Have you looked at the instructions? Bet they are online if you haven’t bought the kit yet, and it should cover it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the reference to other motors is just because the same sensor works in those as well as a G3.

Here’s the instructions.

https://documents.holley.com/6013.p...8M*MTcxMzcxMzMzOS4xLjAuMTcxMzcxMzMzOS4wLjAuMA

Interesting that it say ‘05-‘07. The ‘08 5.7 and ‘08-‘10 6.1 should be the same, so no idea why they left those out. They reference the change in coil packs in ‘06, but those same coils are used from ‘06-‘23. The 6.1 map sensor covers ‘06-‘10. The crank sensor appears to cover ‘07-‘08, so that is probably fine. But the cam sensor applies to ‘06-‘07. Maybe the plug changed and they didn’t want to build a 3rd harness?

Best guess, buy the kit and see if it all plugs in and works with the stock sensors. Expect to change the cam sensor to an ‘07 but wait and see.

You can use the 6.1 cam, crank, and map sensors. The cam and crank are same as 5.7. The map sensors are different between the two in that how they attach to the intake. The 5.7 is a snap in and twist. The 6.1 uses two screws to attach to the aluminum manifold. The 6.1 MAP is the one you want.
408 swinger is correct.

-
Back