What should I do for now?

-
then wax on and wax off with the sand paper .....I always use "metal ready" ...its like an acid that gets in the pores and promotes adhesion for after sanding before primer.......and spray that baby up nice with some smooth grey epoxy primer

The primer will bring out the lines and that car will look awfully sexy in one solid color with those sleek duster lines and semi-fastback with the sharp angled back window and that wide tail-panel and short but sporty nose......yea

I think I really really like dusters ....sorry
"Metal Ready"??? ... Been out of the paint game ,10 years. I was used to "Metal Etch" ,a nasty phosphorus acid based mild rust killer/ etching property for a D.T.M. / epoxy base of primer. (Color clear/ aggressive on body senses). Second ,the usual SEM products style "Rust -Mort",kills rust &seals black episode. It's all acidic,anything new?

As for 75's slant o p : Clear it,love it. Flat agents are available, for any clear. Gonna be a bear to sand,part of the game.

"Metal Ready"??? ... Been out of the paint game ,10 years. I was used to "Metal Etch" ,a nasty phosphorus acid based mild rust killer/ etching property for a D.T.M. / epoxy base of primer. (Color clear/ aggressive on body senses). Second ,the usual SEM products style "Rust -Mort",kills rust &seals black episode. It's all acidic,anything new?

I been using this stuff since I was in auto school.....its made by POR-15 ....you can dilute it with water and you spray it on and scotch bright it in......then rinse it off with water ....it leaves a zinc coating when it dries which almost looks like real faint surface rust but with a slightly different tone because its zinc....primer over it and never worry.......the stuff works awesome.

Attachments

• poi-mrg_w.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 138
I'm curious about doing the clear over rust. I didn't think about doing that. Will that actually do much to protect the car? The reason I'm asking is cuz if you sprayed (pigmented) paint over all that rust it will continue to rust under the paint. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've painted a couple cars over the years. Rust is like cancer to cars, you can't stop it by putting paint over it.

I'm curious about doing the clear over rust. I didn't think about doing that. Will that actually do much to protect the car? The reason I'm asking is cuz if you sprayed (pigmented) paint over all that rust it will continue to rust under the paint. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've painted a couple cars over the years. Rust is like cancer to cars, you can't stop it by putting paint over it.

That's what I was thinkin too...

I just thought of an even better solution for the duster.

Rust-eze ....make sure and get the medicated one and not the regular rust-eze bumper ointment.

you get that and rub it all over the car and it will look great.

Attachments

• CIMG0220.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 111
I understand muratic acid will continue to eat at the metal, never can really neutralize it. apppearantly phosphoric acids can have a problem with some primers. I've used metal ready and acid wash made by DuPont with good results, but I would always spray primer on test strip to be sure..
several body men here swear by self etch primer on first, them epoxy. you put filler directly on the epoxy primer, the epoxy primer can also be used as a sealer. then over that a high fill sanding primer. epoxy isn't made for sanding and leveling. that's what I understand....
if me I would sure d a it down good and then use some type of rust killing acid or a suitable rust killer. body men here don't like the rust neutralizing products, but hey that booger needs some serious something, good luck, it will be awesome!!!!!!

I forgot all about this thread until tonight! I still haven't decided what I'm gonna do (or if I'm even gonna build this particular car) but I was out in the shop tonight and decided to clean the quarter window up a little, here's how I got it without any cleaner so I'm sure I can get it better... If I build this body I'm thinkin bout cleaning the glass REALLY good other than the numbers then somehow getting it cleared as a tribute to its drag racing past! I'd that even possible??

View attachment image.jpg

-
Back