What size are the cyl head studs in a 170?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I was finishing up the cooling system repairs on my 65 Valiant that has a 170 slant six in it and I got to the point of adding the coolant and of course it shot right out of the head. I thought I cracked a block in the hard freeze we've been having. But I looked at where it was coming from and noticed there was a stud missing and water was coming right out. I thought they didn't start the cooling jackets on the manifold studs until 73? So does anyone know what size/length the studs are, so I can just get one and seal it and install it back?

Are we talking about the studs that mount the intake/exhaust manifolds? If so they are 5/16" 20, 2 inches long. The 2 end studs for the exhaust are threaded into the water jacket, especially if they have ever had a broken stud drilled out and the hole retapped.

Thats only half correct the block side of the stud id 5/16-20 the manifold side is fine thread 5/16-28. It is about 2 inches long. You can get a replacement from NAPA or your local auto parts store in the "help" section.
Frank

-
Back