What size carb on 408

-

mod38-1

Reaction score
What size carb is everyone running on there stroker motor. What I have is a 408 that will turn no more than 6000 rpm. Here are specs,9.5-1 comp,stage 2 factory ported heads,solid lifter cam duration@ .050 intake 244,exhaust 252, lift is intake 537 exhaust 556. Edelbrock rpm air gap intake. 3500 stall auto. Car is mostly street car. Have called and talked to some carb guys and they recomend anywhere from 750-950. Thanks

My 414 has similar specs & my builder installed a dyno tuned 800 Holley DP that's been seriously worked. Probably flows around 850cfm. Haven't installed the engine though.

I am planning on running a 1050 dominator on e85 on top of a super victor manifold for my 318 stroker.

Don't get fooled by numbers.

One of the best carbs we've found that works well is 950hp holley. They really flow about 830, but the fuel curve in them is really good.

A 750 from Bigs Performance gets my nod. Jeff give him a call and tell him I sent ya.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was asking is because every carb guy I talk to says something different so I just wanted to know real world what is working and what is not.

A 750 from Bigs Performance gets my nod. Jeff give him a call and tell him I sent ya.

I called bigs and he said to send him my current 750 and he will go through it and make it work instead of buying a new one.

I'm running a 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger with my Air Gap intake and Eddy Heads. The motor is a 340 Resto Block 4 bolt main non siamese stroked to a 410. Best pull on dyno was 475 hp @ 5600 rpm with 497 ft. lbs. tq. @ 4500 rpm.

I called bigs and he said to send him my current 750 and he will go through it and make it work instead of buying a new one.

Excellent move! I agree with a street drive car that a slightly smaller carb on top will be the best and most pleasent drivable car with excellent manors. While the engine could probably gobble down more air and make more power, the driveabilty of a bigger carb on a street carb goes down a bit and top end power is only a few HP, not 30 or 40HP.

Just a update. I got carb back from bigs today and here are some pics. I can say they must have ran it because when I opened the box it smelled like gas. Hope it works as good as it looks. Lol

Attachments

• bigs 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 398
  • bigs 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 428
if you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge you to go through it, and what does it flow now?

Niccccce! Real nice!

Is that a 750 cfm sized carb?
And what does it flow?

Just a update. I got carb back from bigs today and here are some pics. I can say they must have ran it because when I opened the box it smelled like gas. Hope it works as good as it looks. Lol

what is left from the original carb? lol

Niccccce! Real nice!

Is that a 750 cfm sized carb?
And what does it flow?

Yes it is a 750 but I do not know the flow specs because spec sheet does not say

what is left from the original carb? lol

From what I can tell the center section,fuel bowls and maybe baseplate are what is left from original and everything else is new

-
Back