What size driver (or socket) to install tail shaft seal on a 904?

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
Odd question, but I'm driving 13 hours to go fix my son's truck (and car), and one of the things I know it needs (among many things) is a new seal on the tail shaft of the transmission. I just wanted to be sure I have all the right tools before I make a fast trip.

Thanks in advance.

Is a worn bushing causing the seal to leak?
Unknown, all I know is my son sent me a picture of the seal hanging around the yolk, lol… I said, that’s not good.

Unknown, all I know is my son sent me a picture of the seal hanging around the yolk, lol… I said, that’s not good.
In all likelihood, the seal got knocked out by the slip yoke from the bushing being worn and allowing it to flop around.

So the seal was hanging around an egg?

The seal probably just wasn't installed fully to begin with. But if the bushing is bad...then you're going to need more than a seal installer..If so, don't forget some giant snap ring pliers to open up that ring hiding inside the tail housing. Oops 'snap ring'..meant to say "vice grip hog nose retaining snap ring pliers"

I just did this recently. I took the seal to the local hardware store and went to the PVC plumbing fitting section. I kept trying different fittings until I found one that fit around the seal and was a perfect fit to drive it home. It cost me like $3 for the fitting.

In all likelihood, the seal got knocked out by the slip yoke from the bushing being worn and allowing it to flop around.

So the seal was hanging around an egg?
LOL!! I blame talk to text for that one, Hahaha!

go buy a cheap exhaust adapter that fits the diameter of the steel.
As usual, Steve is on the ball..........

I just did this recently. I took the seal to the local hardware store and went to the PVC plumbing fitting section. I kept trying different fittings until I found one that fit around the seal and was a perfect fit to drive it home. It cost me like $3 for the fitting.

Yet another great approach

-
Back