What size electric fan?

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I'm putting an electric waterpump drive on my Duster. Right now, I'm running one of the wide blade flex fans on it, and the temp is OK. What size electric fan (in CFM) would I need to get the same flow? The car sees very little street use, mostly just track, and mostly 1/8 mile.

hi, I just put a 95 Ford Taurus 2 speed fan on my Dart, on low speed it never gets over 180F, before it would get to 210F.
I paid $47 on Amazon for it...said it was used, but it was brand new (got lucky I guess).

good luck!

Any idea how much CFM it flows? Does it come with a 2 speed switch, or is it automatic?

Usually 3000 CFM and UP for a hot street/race car. I think Summit has a HP to CFM guide on their site for shopping for a fan.

Any idea how much CFM it flows? Does it come with a 2 speed switch, or is it automatic?

I dont remember what spec I found, it doesn't say on it, no switch was included, its a 3 wire, so 1 ground, other 2 low/high, I only wired the low speed, if I get motivated, I'll wire both speeds to a on/off/on toggle switch...but first time out with it did great on low so I dont think I'll need high speed.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-620-101-Radiator-Fan-Assembly/dp/B000C14FTO/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Taurus%7C697&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Ford%7C54&Year=1995%7C1995&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=001"]this is the fan I got (but used/cheaper)[/ame]

I found this on a quick search:
"advertised as having 2500 CFM on low speed and 4500 CFM on high by most sources. It comes in the 90 to 95 Ford Taurus and Lincoln Mark VIII with the 3.8 litre engine."

Probably no need to hook up the high then, unless it was set to kick into high by a temp sensor. What radiator are you running? Mine's 26 X 19. I think the 26 is including the tanks- have to measure it when I get home. According to the dimensions on Amazon, it says the shroud is 27 X 6 X 22, but that sounds more like the dimensions of the box to me. That would be huge for a 3.8 liter.

stock size radiator, aluminum 2 row, the shroud is smaller than the radiator.
i just used a trans cooler zip tie install kit.

i dont remember the exact size, I cant measure it right now though, my car is stored at my friends house (for now, till my new house is built).

I'm pretty sure one of these fans will keep my Cummins cool in Phx summer heat, towing!

I found this on a quick search:
"advertised as having 2500 CFM on low speed and 4500 CFM on high by most sources. It comes in the 90 to 95 Ford Taurus and Lincoln Mark VIII with the 3.8 litre engine."

WHOA!!!

What is the size of this wind machine?

If the dimensions listed are of the actual fan and not of the box, then it's about a 22" fan. I'm really thinking those dimensions are of the box it comes in, not the fan itself.

I use a Chevy HHR fan. Fits the radiator well, and keeps my car cool on hot days siting in traffic or at the track. The only down side is it pulls a LOT of AMPS. I think it was something like 34 AMPS to start it and somewhere in the teens once it was moving......pulls LOTS of air though.

This is one I went with.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-ZFB16S/

Bit more then the hhr and taurus fans but flows 3000cfm and only 10 amps. Plus I ran out of room so had to install as a pusher fan. Works better then the hhr fan I had on it before i switched pumps.

Troy

That's the one I was looking at before the idea of the Taurus fan came up. It's still a good price for a 3000 CFM fan. I wasn't sure if I need that much flow for a mostly strip car, though.

I had a zargo fan before and it wont hold a candle to the taurus fan. i am running the taurus fan in my 73 big block dart. it is a 11.1.1 93 pump gas 440. I am useing a summit aluminum 27.5x19 rad with the taurus fan. i have mine wired to run on high. so far racing in the heat my car has never go over 180 degrees. i am also useing a summit drop in electric water pump. which is really a cvr water pump.I tryed the hhr fan but i really didnt have the room. so i used the taurus fan which i really like also because the electric motor is off set. I am only useing a 35-40 amp fuse and my fan has never blew the fuse yet.So far my car has ran a best of 10.68 at 125 in the 1/4.i plan on driving this car on the street next year.Mopar65

Attachments

• 100_0520%20(Large).jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_0776 (Large).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 717
Thanks for the pics! Looks like that's the route I'll go. My radiator is the same size. How deep is it?

Sweet engine!

WOW! Sweet shot and set up Mopar65. NICE!!

What headers are those?

I have my taurus fan on a 20a fuse and its good....but mine is on low still.
and its really not that loud, at least I barely hear it while in the drivers seat and engine off...but then I cant hear that well anyway ha!

this will be my fan of choice for any project I ever do from now on.

WOW! Sweet shot and set up Mopar65. NICE!!

What headers are those?

hi again thanks for the kind words. thoses are the nickle plated TTI headers that are 2 x3-1/2 here is a pic of the 73 dart. its not much but its mine. the plan is as soon as i get the money saved up. I amk going to put the drive train in a 74 duster i bought. i really like the duster bodys more than the dart,s. thanks bobby

Attachments

• 100_0774 (Large).jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 695
  • 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 682
Forgive all of the plastic blasting media all over my engine compartment but here's a measurement from the lip to the core. You really can't believe how well these things cool. I have used several of the specialty fan company's fans but they don't hold a candle to the Taurus fan. I have mine hooked up with a Delta current controller so it varies speed per the temperature requirement. One of the best mods I have ever done (even if it is an embarrassment to have a Furd part on a Mopar!)

Attachments

• taurus fan 1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 686
-
Back