What size/make carb for a "stock" 340

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
its a stock cammed 340 with headers as the only real mod what size and brand of carb? I have a eddie on it now but its...well just not right its had the choke plate removed and the butterflies drilled etc,etc,etc..the car once had a MUCH bigger cam in it and the carb is set up fro that cam and well just really does not work right. It also has that damn hard start after sitting it seems some eddies have(never had that problem with a Holley). \

I was thinking between 650 and 750 as far as size........help me out guys.

This will probably get moved to the Fuel and Air forum or Performance, but anyways, for a stock 340, probably around 600-650.

600 or 650. 750 is a bit much.
What gears, tire size? Auto or manual?

Ive got a Holley 600 out in the shed. It has sat for about 2-3 years now. It came on the 69 RoadRunner that I had previous to the Dart Sport but I took it off that in favor of a 750 Eddie. It is vac secondary and electric choke....would that work? If so anyone know a good rebuild place near PA? Id just like to send it in have someone with KNOWLEDGE go over it rebuild it jet it right etc make sure everything works like new....I assume a rebuild like that would be cheaper than buying a whole new carb?

A rebuild should be cheaper than new.
Yes, that carb will work well. But jetting it to run well is a trail and error thing that will change with the days and for surley seasons. What works well in summer is now lean in winter.

Yeah, I agree, I think the 600 would be good and snappy! I would go with a mechanical secondary but if you have the carb go for it. I run a 650 holly with mech-secondaries with a proform main body and it runs great. Best carb I ever had. I just don't like trying to figure out when the secondaries open on one of the VS carbs, with the carb I have now I know it's smashed wide open when my foot is to the floor.

eeb045ce.jpg

One more thing, look on the bottom of the holly and tell us what the #s are. Should look like 4777 or something.

I know not many people like 'em, but have you considered a Thermoquad? With the price of gas those little front barrels get a lot better mileage than the Eddy or the Holley. I had one on a stock 340 4 speed Challenger and never had a problem with it. I also had one on a 69 GTS 340 Dart that ran really good. The Dart had a pretty lumpy hydrolic cam, aluminum intake, and headers. Both were street cars driven regularly. Very dependable. :thumblef:

Hey Halfaed,
Where did you get that cover on top of the carb?

Yeah I thought about the TQ...I think the deal with those was though is they either work or are horrible and the parts to "tune" them are not all available. If I had anyone local that could help get it set up id rebuild the one that came on the car(ive got the original TQ also). I just figured with Holley being a more widely known and part available car...and guys "know" them better than TQ's these days geting help(if I needed it) wolud be easier????? Im definately not a carb tuner never messed with them in my life so I kinda need a out of the box "fit" that I don't have to "tinker" with a lot. Oh and I dont drive it enough to really get crazy about the MPG...the guy that inspected it last year laughed at me when I brought it in and he said id put less than 150 miles on it last year :).

But yeah its down between rebuilding the original TQ(which ran when it came off the car) and rebuilding the 600 Holley now. so what do you think....original TQ sent to Demonsizzler(a TQ guru) http://www.thermoquads.com/ for a rebuild or the Holley 600 sent to someplace like Pro Max http://promaxcarbs.bizland.com/Home.chtml for a rebuild???? or any other recomendations for rebuild places??? I don't want to just slap on a rebuild kit I want it gone through(either carb) to make sure its set up and working right secondaries are opening correctly,vac secondary is working right,choke is working right etc,etc,etc......Oh and ive got a Edelbrock performer(not the RPM one just the regular old performer) intake...would I need any adaptors for either the Holley or TQ????

I like T-Q's and with Demonsizzler just a quick click away, parts to tune are not a problem. Besides, He knows the carb very well. Send him the T-Q and tell him exactly what you have and what your doing with it. He will set it up right.
It's worth the money he gets to rebuild it. There very good carbs.

I think a lot will depend on the turnaround times also for the carbs....hopefully not months :).

My dad had the sizzler do one, but it took a while to get it back. I don't know about time frame now.

The air hat on my carb I made from 3" exhaust pipe that I cut hammered and welded together. It took a while but it works good now! :)

I made my own airhat because cause I'm cheap. and I thought if it didn't work I'd just throw it. I didn't feel like spending $180 on one.

hey 73DartSport340 demonsizzler just did mine about 2 months ago on my demon. it took about 10-12 days complete door to door. he has been really busy lately he said. i am very happy with mine.

Thanks guys..now i just gotta decide...the Holley is almost $100 cheaper to rebuild and have tested......so im leaning that way right now.

-
Back