What size OEM trans tunnel hole for shifter linkage

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My 69 Dart came with column shift. I'm converting it to floor shift. I would like to cut an original size hole in the trans tunnel. Any idea's on what size it should be? I see indents for the screws for the boot, but not sure how much hole to cut.
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_2987.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 116
If I get time I'll go over to the shop and measure mine. The original is just inside the screw holes. It does NOT need to be that large.

Make sure your automatic has the bracket holes on the bottom of the tail housing.

IF my memory serves correct, factory size of that hole was 3.5 diameter. It needs to be large enough to get the down rod through. There is a way to make a opening that the down rod will pass through without removing so much sheet metal. After all.. how many of us have huge hole saws ? 2 intersecting holes works.
More details if you want.
Pic shows the front bracket placed upside down. maybe you set it that way temp so it doesn't slide downhill.

Just went and measured... 3 inch diameter. Glad the winter weather hasn't got here yet :)

IF my memory serves correct, factory size of that hole was 3.5 diameter. It needs to be large enough to get the down rod through. There is a way to make a opening that the down rod will pass through without removing so much sheet metal. After all.. how many of us have huge hole saws ? 2 intersecting holes works.
More details if you want.
Pic shows the front bracket placed upside down. maybe you set it that way temp so it doesn't slide downhill.

You are correct Ben,
I started from the rear and each time I made a movement the front bracket would fall or slide down, so I stood it up to get this pic.
Martin

You can use scrap wood, yard sticks, most anything across the front of the template to hold position and measurements. I used scrap vinyl fence materials just because it was handy. A string line would land approx. 5 inches up the kick panel wall.

A magnet could be useful too if you have one

-
Back