What size radiator?

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I've got a 1973 Duster that's powered by a 360 from a 75 duster in it. I need to put in a new radiator but want to get the proper size. The one in there looks like the core is about 26" wide and with the end tanks it's 22" tall. But in the engine bay, the last inch on each side is blocked by the metal panel holding up the rad, so I don't think it's doing much. I've seen 22" listed as the size for a 73 Duster as well, so which size do I need? I was looking at Champion rads so if anyone has a part number there that would work - or any other suggestions for a good manufacturer.

Also, anyone have experience installing an aftermarket temp gauge? Is it a hard swap, where'd you put the gauge, and do I need a new sender too or just the gauge? Would be nice to see a real temp reading.

End tanks? Is it a crossflow? Tanks should be on the top and bottom if its stock.

A-bodies came with both 22" and 26" radiators stock. Some of the later V8 cars with A/C had 26" radiators in them, I had a '74 Dart parts car that had a 26" radiator in it from the factory, and I have the fender tag to prove it. The cars that had 26" radiators also had a bigger opening for them in the core support. If I'd realized that at the time, I probably would have taken the core support out of that '74 instead of just the radiator. :violent1:

Anyway, having a 26" radiator mounted in front of a 22" core support isn't a problem. Despite what most people think, the 26" radiator will still cool better. Even with the edges of the core blocked from direct air flow from the front of the car. The additional surface area is still exposed to air, and that's all it needs. Might not be quite as efficient as having a 26" radiator and a 26" core support opening, but its still better than a 22" radiator with a 22" core support. Your fan (or fans) will still pull air across the entire core if you have the right fan shroud.

I have a 26" Champion radiator in my Duster from challengergary, he's a retailer and a member here. I also have mine set up with a dual electric fan set up from a Ford Contour, so it pulls air across the entire surface area of the radiator. I had to drill some additional mounting holes for the 26" radiator in the core support, but its a piece of cake. I even welded backing nuts onto the core support like the factory did.

IMG_1558_zps3b79216a.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsdd343921.jpg

As far as the aftermarket temp gauge, its easy. You will need to match the gauge and sending unit. I left my stock sending unit in place and used another sending unit boss on my Edelbrock air-gap manifold to just add an additional sending unit. So both the stock and aftermarket gauge work, and I can get actual numbers off of my aftermarket gauge. Mine's mounted in a dual pod gauge with an oil pressure gauge below my dash.

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response, 72. The one in there is a vertical flow, I meant the end tanks are on the top and bottom. I'll probably stick with a 26".

End tanks? Is it a crossflow? Tanks should be on the top and bottom if its stock.

A-bodies came with both 22" and 26" radiators stock. Some of the later V8 cars with A/C had 26" radiators in them, I had a '74 Dart parts car that had a 26" radiator in it from the factory, and I have the fender tag to prove it. The cars that had 26" radiators also had a bigger opening for them in the core support. If I'd realized that at the time, I probably would have taken the core support out of that '74 instead of just the radiator. :violent1:

Anyway, having a 26" radiator mounted in front of a 22" core support isn't a problem. Despite what most people think, the 26" radiator will still cool better. Even with the edges of the core blocked from direct air flow from the front of the car. The additional surface area is still exposed to air, and that's all it needs. Might not be quite as efficient as having a 26" radiator and a 26" core support opening, but its still better than a 22" radiator with a 22" core support. Your fan (or fans) will still pull air across the entire core if you have the right fan shroud.

I have a 26" Champion radiator in my Duster from challengergary, he's a retailer and a member here. I also have mine set up with a dual electric fan set up from a Ford Contour, so it pulls air across the entire surface area of the radiator. I had to drill some additional mounting holes for the 26" radiator in the core support, but its a piece of cake. I even welded backing nuts onto the core support like the factory did.

IMG_1558_zps3b79216a.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsdd343921.jpg

As far as the aftermarket temp gauge, its easy. You will need to match the gauge and sending unit. I left my stock sending unit in place and used another sending unit boss on my Edelbrock air-gap manifold to just add an additional sending unit. So both the stock and aftermarket gauge work, and I can get actual numbers off of my aftermarket gauge. Mine's mounted in a dual pod gauge with an oil pressure gauge below my dash.

IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

You wouldnt happen to know what year ford contour that came out off. I like that setup, and I might steal that idea from you if you dont mind

-
Back