what size torx socket

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
does anyone happen to know what size torx socket i need to get the real seal retainer off my slant six? i tried a few my dad had and the socket didnt even fit in the hole to get down to the bolt. thanks, once i get the crankshaft out i can get the new block to the machine shop.
-aaron-

P7241446.jpg

I've you tried an Allen key, not the correct tool, but will work. They cant be that tight in there. That's what I use when I do brakes, on the newer calipers.

Good luck.
Giles.

It's not a torx bolt (although it looks like one). It's a 12-point 3/8" socket. I had to buy one especially for this purpose.

ahhhh. i thought it looked wierd. kinda hard to tell with all that grease. thankyou! gonna have to go buy a 16 point 3/8 socket tomorrow.
-aaron-

Is that something they did on later model slants? The couple of times I have taken the motors apart I didn't need anything other than the standard tools in my tool box.

They put some odd bolts heads on steering gears mounting too. They look like torx but are actually 12 point hex.

Well 12 point is standard. Any box end wrench or about 1/2 the socket sets out there are 12 point. 16 point is another beast and is quite unusual, I don't think I have ever seen a 16 point fastner.

My bad — 12-point. The "point" is that it's a standard socket, not a specialty tool or torx socket, and an 8-point socket won't work.

ok. so 12 point. that makes more sense. i just got home from work. gonna have a snack then its off to my dads house to pull that apart.

The 12 point thing seems to be hit and miss. I have seen them in all different year motors. Same with a regular 3/8" 6 point bolt. Probably all depended on which bin was full that day.

-
Back