what size wheel for 72 Dart?

-

BabyBee1

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart it has 14s on it now want to move up to 15s can a 15 X 8 with 4.50 backspacing fit with a 255/60-15 tire?

I have a 72 Dart it has 14s on it now want to move up to 15s can a 15 X 8 with 4.50 backspacing fit with a 255/60-15 tire?
99% no. Not without some trimming or fender lip rolling. Rears are what we are talking about I hope. 255's will fit on 7's fine.

7's work fine

002.JPG

yes rear wheels, dont mind rolling fender flare if it would work to get me the clearance
That works as long as you don't have wheel opening moldings from what I hear.

As long as they are 15X7 with 4.5 backspacing they will fit

if that fits, then a 15x8 with 5" backspace should put the wheel in the same relative location.
Sure as far as backspace goes, with the 7's on mine, i can't get my fingers between the lip and the tire on the outside and may be 3/4" clearance against the spring on the inside. With a 8" wide on the rear of these cars, I can almost guarantee rubbing or tire cutting. Each to his own.

20160518_170023.jpg

Sure as far as backspace goes, with the 7's on mine, i can't get my fingers between the lip and the tire on the outside and may be 3/4" clearance against the spring on the inside. With a 8" wide on the rear of these cars, I can almost guarantee rubbing or tire cutting. Each to his own.

View attachment 1716163540
sounds like you'd want another 1/4" backspace (so 5.25" or so for an 8" wide rim), that would shift the tire inboard another 1/4"

My '72 Swinger, 15X8 4 5/8 backspace Wheel Vintiques. Had to roll the fender lip. On the spring side had 3/4" maybe. Chose to go the Hijacker direction, added clearance and attitude adjustment. 35 lbs did just right :D

Great info so far, the part that is missing is the rear axle. It makes a difference if you have an 8 3/4 or 7 1/4 rear axle, and it makes a difference in the backspacing if you have the factory SBP (5x4") or BBP (5x4.5").

With an 8 3/4 and BBP axles to run 255/60/15's I'd be looking for a 15x7 with about 4.75" up to about 5" of backspace, closer to 5" if you've got rear disks or plan to add them.

If I recall correctly, @toolmanmike has 15x7's with 4.25" of backspace, and a SBP 8 3/4? And maybe closer to 4.5" would be better?

My '71 Dart GT has the factory installed small bolt pattern 8 3/4" (741) rear-end. The rear leafs were replaced by the previous owner with ManciniRacing 2800lb springs. Brakes are factory 10" X 1 3/4" drums.

I went with 15" X 7" WheelVintiques Rallye wheels with, as near as I can tell, 4 1/4" backspace (purchased used from member 72Dart6pack). I wasn't sure what tire size I should use, but ended up going with P245/60R15s. After I installed the wheels and tires I realize I could have gone with P255/60R15 tires (next time!).

FYI fronts are 14" X 5 1/2" factory Rallye wheels with P195/75R14 tires.

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_6288 (2).jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

My '72 Swinger, 15X8 4 5/8 backspace Wheel Vintiques. Had to roll the fender lip. On the spring side had 3/4" maybe. Chose to go the Hijacker direction, added clearance and attitude adjustment. 35 lbs did just right :D
be careful with that, my duster had air shocks in the back when we bought it in '91, and both shock mounts on the body side were utterly destroyed and had to reweld/reinforce that area. the shock mounts were not meant to carry body weight, only transient loads from dampening.

be careful with that, my duster had air shocks in the back when we bought it in '91, and both shock mounts on the body side were utterly destroyed and had to reweld/reinforce that area. the shock mounts were not meant to carry body weight, only transient loads from dampening.
But Dusters/Demons and Darts/Scamps are 2 different animals. Dusters/Demons can handle a 8" wide wheel without issues.

shock mounts are the same though
That could be. The wheel openings and the tubs are different though. I looked up 70 and newer Dart and then Demon quarter patch panels. Different numbers between the 2 models.

sounds like you'd want another 1/4" backspace (so 5.25" or so for an 8" wide rim), that would shift the tire inboard another 1/4"
I think you would be awfully close to the spring doing this. I run 5.25 BS with an 8" wheel, but have offset hangers and shackles which move the spring inboard 1/2".

At one time, I had 15x8 with 245 60r15, and 4.5" BS on my 69 Dart. Going by memory, but I believe I had 3/8" to the springs, springs in stock location at time. The 245's rubbed on the wheel lip on passenger side.

The more I looked at my Swinger from the side the more I liked the idea of the wheel openings being the same at both ends.
Like, take the front sheet metal and make the rear fit it. Same fender wells both ends. :thumbsup:
Make lotsa room for bigger skins back there too.

ANother thing to watch out for is tire clearance at the front of the wheel opening. With the Darts, 70 and newer anyway, anything bigger than a 255/60-15 and you may need to move the rear end back. There are front spring mount spacers available and 1/2" would make a difference without messing with the transmission output splines.

-
Back