what stall convertor?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
gentleman

with all the experience on here what size stall convertor should i get for the following application:

72 340 being rebuilt now to the following specs.

-diamond pistons with 10.5.1 compression
-stock x heads freshened up only (no porting)
-edelbrock rpm manifold
-holley 650 vac secondary carb
-comp cams xe-268h k-kit (477/480 lift)
-stock 727 trans with shift kit
-8 3/4 rear with 3:54 gears
-15 inch wheels
-power steering only (pretty light car)

summitt recomended a 2200 stall but seems a little light. must be someone with a similar set up and experience. thanks.

you best bet is to call someone like dynamic, ptc or untimate and see what they recomend. be 100% honest when they ask your combo and intended use. you will be surprised that the stahl will probably be allot higher then you would think. converter technology has really come a long way. you can run a 3800 stahl on the street and have it feel like a stock converter and at the track it will be a real beast. its amazing. your better off with one built to your combo rather then some off the shelf converter. they aren't cheap but you really get what you pay for when it comes to converters and the converter choice can really make or break your combo.

Joe's right. Converter technology has came a long way. I run a PTC 3000 stall in my cuda and until i get into it it drives like a stock converter. I think with your combo I'd go with a 2800~3000 stall. That'll get you up into the power band allot quicker making the car faster and it'll still drive great.

I just ordered a new convertor from Dynamic. I talked to Sean and he recommened a 3800 stall for my combo. $600 Give him a call.

While I agree things have come a long way... I don't like the spongy I get with higher flash stalls and tighter units. Personally, I'd go with a 10" 2200 stall. I've had Dynamic re-stall three of their slippery 9.5" units that would flash to 3500. But cruising along, they felt spongy trying to climb a hill, or a light throttle pass around a truck without downshifting. The cars were dyno'd 500hp B wedge, and two small blocks, one a 4" stroker. They were not down on power, but the convertor made them feel that way for the owners. Be up front, and be sure to tell him what you do with it. If you race twice a year at major shows, and are out to 3 cruise nights a week, with 3.54s and tall tires, you dont need a slippery convertor.

I should add that all 10" and 9.5" units use the same 9.5" shell...lol.

While I agree things have come a long way... I don't like the spongy I get with higher flash stalls and tighter units. Personally, I'd go with a 10" 2200 stall. I've had Dynamic re-stall three of their slippery 9.5" units that would flash to 3500. But cruising along, they felt spongy trying to climb a hill, or a light throttle pass around a truck without downshifting. The cars were dyno'd 500hp B wedge, and two small blocks, one a 4" stroker. They were not down on power, but the convertor made them feel that way for the owners. Be up front, and be sure to tell him what you do with it. If you race twice a year at major shows, and are out to 3 cruise nights a week, with 3.54s and tall tires, you dont need a slippery convertor.

hmmm.. dynamic nailed my converter on the first try. that sucker felt like a stock converter on the street and i did everything with the car. 2 hour drives on the highway and just cruising back roads, it was great and vever loose feeling for me. at the track was a beast would get 3000 easy on the foot brake and it felt like i got kicked in the *** launching.. i did tell them the car was going to be most driven on the street and only on the track a few times a year so maybe they put it on the tighter side of things.

Yeah, in all these cases, my customers first told them they drag raced. I said "did you tell them how much?" They make a nice product, and the low limit of the design is 2200 with a 4200lbs car and 500hp. A ton of the feel of the convertor, and therefore the "quality" is the perception and experience of the driver... The companies do thier best to match what you ask for. So be honest and ask for the right thing.

yea thats the biggest thing. gotta be 100% honest on the combo and intended use. i made sure i told them over and over again its mostly a street car that will be driven more then raced.

-
Back