What the HE double hockey sticks is this?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Below is a picture of a bird that is hanging around our house. I have never seen anything like it. It is about a foot tall and as big around as a 6 pound chicken. It's call is a very loud squawk. I thought it might be some kind of pigeon but it sure is big and it doesn't cooo. Anybody ever seen one of these or know what it is?

Jack

BIRD CROPPED.jpg

Looks kinda like a sea bird to me. Think it might have beat feet out of Iceland until things cool down? Please don't make me think, it's 4-20 you know.

What ever it is it looks like a baby Bird to me by looking at the soft feather on it's back 8)
I will see what I can find out :read2: You liv in Canada so it should be easy to find out :-Dmaybe:read2: I have never seen anything like it 8)

Looks like a baby penguin, probably getting away from that Iceland volcano. It's wearing it's pin stripe suite until it picks up it's tux from the cleaners

8)8)8)8)8)

Jack,

That's a rare tree snipe. Last time I saw one of those I was my way to get a bucket of prop wash, box of nail holes and some spark plugs for my diesel lawnmower at the hardware store when my VW bug ran low on coolant and I had to pull over. I grabbed my metric adjustable wrench, popped open the front hood and just as I did, I heard a loud "squawk". I turned and there he was, perched on a shyhook. I could have crapped a brass magnet. Like Mike says, I'm pretty sure that one's a baby tree snipe as the one I saw was about 2' long judging by the 3 foot meter stick I had in the trunk.

Some interesting replies here. LOL
Some things I know about this bird.
1. It can fly
2. It is very tame, seeing as I walked within 3 feet of it.
3. Way to big to be any quail I ever heard of.
4. No baby birds around here this time of year.

I thought it might be the result of a careless female pigeon and a blind zebra.

Jack

Look at the feet on that bird 8) I have not found anuthing:read2: YET 8)
here is one thing I did find, It's called a Ruffed Grouse

400-79416.jpg

Mike, That grouse does look kind of rough. LOL This thing does not look like any grouse or partridge I have ever seen. One of my co-workers is a big time upland game bird hunter and he has never seen anything like it.

Jack

Be careful Jack. If you look closely you'll see he has the Zorro black eye mask, the striped prison pajamas, that pissed off look on his face, and he probably eats with his pecker, so don't trust him. :)

I looked at the feet and it doese seem to be a young young bird that has not lost all his baby fethers yet , Could it be one of these as it grows
Remember the bill and talons will grow, Bird of pray

p_Birds_of_Prey_26.jpg

Jack,

That's a rare tree snipe. Last time I saw one of those I was my way to get a bucket of prop wash, box of nail holes and some spark plugs for my diesel lawnmower at the hardware store when my VW bug ran low on coolant and I had to pull over. I grabbed my metric adjustable wrench, popped open the front hood and just as I did, I heard a loud "squawk". I turned and there he was, perched on a shyhook. I could have crapped a brass magnet. Like Mike says, I'm pretty sure that one's a baby tree snipe as the one I saw was about 2' long judging by the 3 foot meter stick I had in the trunk.
I lmao ramcharger!! Your med's are not hurting your creativity :happy10:

Be careful Jack. If you look closely you'll see he has the Zorro black eye mask, the striped prison pajamas, that pissed off look on his face, and he probably eats with his pecker, so don't trust him. :)
Lmao :-D he probably eats with his pecker :cheers::cheers:

Escabeche (es-kah-BECH-ay) is an ancient preparation historically used with fish or game birds, notably the Spanish red-legged partridge, which is a cousin of our chukars here. Basically you cook the birds and then souse them with a flavorful, vinegar-based sauce for a day or three. You can eat escabeche cold, warm or at room temperature, and I typically serve it as a room temperature, summertime dinner or lunch.

Serves 4-6

■2 pheasants or 4 chukars or 8 quail OR 1 BABY PARTRIDGE!!
■1/3 cup olive oil
■lemon peel from 1 lemon, white pith removed
■1/2 cup sherry or white wine vinegar
■3 cups white wine, preferably Spanish
■6 bay leaves
■1 teaspoon dried thyme
■1 teaspoon black pepper
■1 sprig rosemary
■2 cloves
■1 head of garlic, peeled
■1 onion, sliced into half-moons
■2 sliced carrots
■1/2 teaspoon saffron
■Salt
1.Cut your birds into serving pieces (leave quail whole) and salt them well. Set aside.
2.Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot with a lid over medium heat and cook the lemon peel in the oil until it browns. Remove and either discard or eat (it’s tasty!). This adds another layer of flavor to the escabeche.
3.Cook the birds. You have two choices here. Either brown them in the olive oil you just flavored with lemon, or paint them with some more olive oil and grill them over an open fire. I do the former in winter, the latter in summer.
4.Saute the onion in the lemon-flavored olive oil until just beginning to brown. Remove about half and set aside.
5.Add the carrots and garlic and saute for a few minutes, stirring often.
6.Pour in the vinegar, white wine, all the herbs and spices — except the saffron — and bring to a simmer.
7.Put in the pheasant, quail or chukars and add a little water if you need more liquid: You want the birds to be almost submerged, but not completely so. Cover and simmer slowly for 90 minutes.
8.Remove the birds and discard the bay leaves.
9.Buzz the sauce with an immersion blender, push it through a food mill set on a medium setting, buzz it in a food processor or a blender — do something to puree the sauce.
10.Return it to the pot, add the saffron and bring to a simmer. Stir well and return the birds to the sauce. Turn off the heat and cover. Let the birds cool in the sauce for an hour or so.
11.Serve cold, warmed up or at room temperature with white wine, beer OR SOUTHERN COMFORT, and either boiled potatoes or lots of crusty bread.

escabeche-recipe.jpg

Better put it out of it's misery and into your fryin pan. Might infect the other bird population

Yep, that be a Chucker, we have them around here also. Them little suckers can run fast also.

i am crying as i write this. you guys are completely hilarious....lol.lmao...
i think it is a SUPER-BIRD. LOL

-
Back